Problem Statement: How might we make fireplaces more interactive?
We were to use SCAMPER to modify an existing product in our sub-theme or related to our problem statement. I listed out some ideas and drew the one that excited me most.
The product I used was a fireplace that has glass "logs" in it to make the flames come to life and dance more than usual. It's a modern/contemporary fireplace.
- Replace the clear glass with frosted or colored glass
- Make the glass shards move (as opposed to stationary)
- Replace the glass with ceramics, plastic, metal, etc.
- Change the triangular shape to anything else
- Turn flames into conducting wire, artfully wrapped around the shards of glass
Conducting wire that can be wrapped around the glass:
- Pair thermal varying materials with isothermic glass, to get growing and segmented fireplace structures as it heats up
- Temperature / color varying material with glass
- Combine glass with fake wood logs
- Glass tubes with perforations to suck in oxygen and allow for flames to occur inside tube. Then you can build structures with flame tubes!
- Make entire log of glowing material. Glows when hot.
Are there other ways to re-direct the flames?
- Fan or air
- Moving obstructions
- Moving flame source
- Isothermal materials: glass, gaskets/rubber, fake logs
- Have glass hang from the top versus stationary at the bottom
Hanging obstructions to move around in the fire:
- More glass pieces
- More flames
- Layered flames
- Torch flames - Lots of BTU's!
- Make fireplace size and thickness of a picture
- Blend a gothic and modern fireplace?
- Add: Lasers, sounds, smells, waves
Put to other use
- Fireplace/grill - has rods that can cook food
- Freezer / cooker - CROCKPOT!! How cool would that be?!
- Can you get the flames to look like their is an object in the middle of them, without there being one? Invisible log effect.
- Remove glass beads on bottom
- Small, unnoticeable flames. Can't see them, but they give off heat
- Remove the glass screen. Can't burn yourself on hot glass, if there isn't any to burn yourself on!
Fireplace Picture (No visible flames, but it emits heat!):
- Flames from the top and sides
- Mirror on the back
- Tinted film, dimming the light coming from the flame
- Flames turn on when there is noise
- Flames dim with noise
- Pictures and videos play inside the fireplace
- Hide flames
- Make flames stable as possible, making them look like candles
Combining a few different components I saw through this process, I'd like to create a variable actuating gas fireplace. Flames can be stable, moving, produce wave effects, etc.:
I did a hit matrix around the product from part 1. My two starting products were a fireplace and obstructions.
Below is the HIT matrix I made with these ideas:
Re-hashing some of the silly ideas from the initial brainstorm I came up with a few ideas.
Previous: Smoke notes - Secret notes that would show their message after put into smoke.
New: Fire Notes - you can write a message on glass and when it gets heated up a message will appear.
Previous: Booby Trap - Bra that set you on fire
New: A body vest that had heat producing material that can be reset in your laundry machine.
Previous: Social Media Fire - Flame gets bigger for every like you get!
New: Social Media Fire - LED ticker on top of fireplace mantle shows the status update. Flame burst occurs in fireplace to signify a notification.
Previous: Indoor Sundial
New: Flame clock, put in front of fire and the hand/minute hands allow the flame to shine through, showing the time.
Previous: House hats - A hat to redirect the exhaust coming out of your house
New: Flaps that can open up inside your chimney, and filter into your HVAC system at the correct temperature.
Previous: Fire pyramids - keeps your drink warm
New: His and Hers fire cubes - keeps your drink warm and makes a warm reminder of your loved one (Awwww)
Here are the current top ten ideas for products: