The spurs of deciding to ride
Ever since I arranged to go horseback riding with a friend - something I only do when I visit my mom's horse farm in NY once a year - I've been able to do all these things I have been talking about doing, but not. Check this out:
- Gary and I, on a complete whim last Sunday, ripped out the carpet in our living room to expose the beautiful oak wood floors. We've been wanting to do this for 6 years!
- I finished terracing our hillside garden plot, about 6 x 25 feet in total, so that when I water, the water doesn't all trickle down to the bottom. Gary's been trying to get me to do this for 5 years.
- I called the dentist! I'm way overdue for a cleaning. (Not 4 years overdue, but overdue nonetheless.)
- I called a financial consultant and made an appointment for Gary and I to learn how to better manage our measly finances (she's been calling us about monthly for over a year to get us to call her back!)
- I looked up home organizing tips and now have a plan for how to manage all the paper crap in our home! I even created an "action" filing system, sorted all the clutter on the kitchen table, and found a home for the file right as you enter the house. Now that's action!
What have I been so afraid of, in returning to the horse world? I feared it was the great dysfunction in my life (my parents divorced over horses and more), whereas now, 25 years later, it's fostering all sorts of functionality. Let's just hope I can keep my head!
But see what action comes from just a tiny step towards following your passion? What they say is true - FOLLOW YOUR BLISS and you will be amazed. I am.