Fugu a go-go

There was some news in Japan over the last week or so of a couple of Fugu-related deaths. If you didn't know, the poisonous blowfish is used for at least two interesting different purposes. In Haiti, it's used to make the Zombie Dust (I'll leave you to your own searches about the truth and fictions of Zombification, Voudon, and the dust, but if you want only one reference then you should take a look at Wade Davis's classic The Serpent and the Rainbow of ethnopsychopharmacology) and eaten in Japan after being prepared by specially-trained, authorized chefs.

Here are some spots for you to start your reading...
Ananova

Japanese food site.

Travel link.

And Japanese pop culture link.

Of course, you're really here to hear the story of what it tastes like. (What's the purpose of talking about the stuff if you don't try it? I take offense at the ridiculous travel and dining articles "but we didn't have any." If you review the Louvre, you do go inside, look around, dodge the American Dan Brown fans, and see the Mona Lisa while you're at it. If you review Fugu, you eat it. Sashimi, sushi, and fondued.) So, at the cosmic ray conference in Tskuba, Japan back in 2003 part of the Pierre Auger Collaboration got together for Fugu.

If things went wrong, there would be additional job openings in Particle Astrophysics.

Nothing went wrong. Very tasty. Slight numbing of the tongue and lips which indicated that just enough of the toxin was in there to remind you that the edge was relatively closeby. I can cross that one off of my list. Would I go again? Sure, it's tasty, different, and the connections you build cheating death...

Posted by duver001 at October 20, 2004 11:49 AM