Automobile technologies not for US consumption

The New York Times has a piece on automobile technologies not likely to be coming to the states anytime soon. It's a short article and focuses largely on the legal environment of the US as the technology limiter---mentioning only things like TV in cars, web & email, and self-parallel-parking modes.

Seeing this article made me think about the actual important technologies that haven't made it to cars in the US...fuel-efficient diesels, fuel-efficient anything, gasoline direct-injection engines, the common European rain-sensing wipers and roadway hazard radio modes, navigation systems that work, heck, even lots of good car models fail to make it to the states. Check out a copy of Car magazine (British general sort of car magazine, available at Barnes & Noble and the like) or Evo (for the higher performance crowd, similar availability) and see some of the examples. I think there's more at work than just lawsuits. Are the profit margins on cars very different here and in Europe? Japan? I'm not sure.

Posted by duver001 at October 26, 2004 3:54 PM