Church and State

As our protections against the religious tyranny fades, at least we need to remember the "founding fathers" were hardly Christians.

* I have examined all the known superstitions of the world, and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology. Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion? To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the earth. (Thomas Jefferson)

* The Government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.

The doctrine of the divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity. (John Adams)

* I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of... Each of those churches accuse the other of unbelief; and for my own part, I disbelieve them all. (Thomas Paine)

* What influence in fact have Christian ecclesiastical establishments had on civil society? In many instances they have been upholding the thrones of political tyranny. In no instance have they been seen as the guardians of the liberties of the people. Rulers who wished to subvert the public liberty have found in the clergy convenient auxiliaries. A just government, instituted to secure and perpetuate liberty, does not need the clergy.

Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprize. (James Madison)

Posted by duver001 at April 11, 2005 6:43 PM