Munch paintings recovered

"The Scream" and "Madonna" appear to be mostly intact.

Posted by duver001 at 11:49 AM

When all else fails, crackdown on "crime" online

Zimbabwe plans to use Chinese technology to monitor telecommunications. It does seem to be the refuge of failed dictatorships and nascent ones perhaps as well...

Posted by duver001 at 9:29 AM

How well does abstinance-based sex education work?

Just look to the 65 pregnant high school students at Timken High in Canton, OH.

Posted by duver001 at 10:33 AM

From coast to mountains...

The New England salt marshes are dying for unknown reasons. I remember almost yearly biology, ecology, or similar field trips to these marshes. Very unusual systems, and lots of fun for kids, knee-deep in muck and all.

A look at the dead-zone off of the Oregon coast.

Land-use issues in Idaho: off-road tracks as "wilderness" and a private company as protector of federal lands.

Posted by duver001 at 9:10 AM

Havre, MT and the war on terror

That Amtrak stop has become the base for the "northern patrol" of the Border Patrol. But the real story is how there is now a zone a hundred miles deep inside the US border where the constitution doesn't apply. Probably cause? Not needed. ID? Needed. Remember when this nation criticized the former Soviet Union for requiring internal visas? Passports required to travel and all. We now have the same phenomena within our country.

Posted by duver001 at 1:34 PM

¡No Pasarán!

There hasn't been much coverage in the US of what has been happening in Mexico since the presidential elections there. This relatively poorly written article at least gives a feel for what it's like on the ground.

Posted by duver001 at 1:06 PM

Global warming in easy units

Spring is arriving 6-8 days on average earlier than it did 30 years ago and Autumn about 3 days later. I think those are more striking figures than the 1-2 degrees of temperature change. We have a week's work of change at the beginning of the summer and 1/2 a week at the end.

Posted by duver001 at 11:02 AM

Junk science in the courtroom

Polygraphs, dental forensics, sloppy labwork.

Posted by duver001 at 10:49 AM

The continuing struggle of science & education against theocrats & ignorance

Lawrence Krauss has a decent, albeit brief editorial in the New York Times after the Kansas School Board skewed back towards reality. I'm not sure in what forum his disagreement over "scientifically inappropriate attempts by some scientists to discredit the religious faith of others" appeared. Will have to take a look. Though I can see tactically why scientists might feel that, I think that it is hypocritical to argue for a reasoned, scientific approach in all matters other than other people's theology. The logical holes are there along with the incoherence of major religions, their ahistoricality, and their pernicious nature in practice (and perhaps in theory). I see little benefit in doing this, but little harm either. Deeply-held beliefs, whether sensible or not, are not likely to be changed by simple logic.

Just the other day, we see an evolving piece of the religious attack on reason and science. Due to a "clerical" (hmmm...that has two meanings...) error, evolutionary biology has disappeared from a federal list of university majors approved for federal student grants. Yup, follow the link and you can still (8/25/06) see the missing line, a blank line, for 26.1303. What a coincidence.

Posted by duver001 at 9:16 AM

Foie Gras in Chicago

Sing while you may, because some alderman may stop that too.

Posted by duver001 at 11:28 AM

What college athletics are all about

Cash!!!!

Posted by duver001 at 12:04 PM

Flying problems for musicians

Obviously you can't check a 200 year old Italian violin.

Posted by duver001 at 12:28 PM

Perelman declines the Fields Medal

This is the gentleman who appears to have proven the Poincare Conjecture.

Posted by duver001 at 12:10 PM

Terrible things!

Posted by duver001 at 11:31 AM

Woman fired for being female

After 54 years, this woman was fired because she's a woman and therefore can't teach men. And the man who fired her? A city councilman as well as church minister. The Taliban appears to be staging a comeback.

Posted by duver001 at 1:27 PM

Interesting little bit in the NYT on Devon Avenue

When I lived in Chicago I thought of it mostly as a place to find good Indian food. The article discusses how this Pakistani-American neighborhood differs from the terrorism incubators similar neighborhoods in England have become.

Posted by duver001 at 9:09 AM

Hey Joe, where you going with those Republican dollars

The "Democrat" that the Republicans got to defeat a Republican got defeated by a Democrat. The continuing unholy alliance of Lieberman and Rove.

Posted by duver001 at 9:03 AM

Popular delusions...

"Sweet water" near Mumbai.

Posted by duver001 at 8:11 PM

Low-end Ferraris

Having been thinking about Magnum, PI recently (don't ask!)...I just came across this excellent history of Ferrari's low-end mid-engined cars. You can ask me about my Maserati experiences. :)

Posted by duver001 at 8:06 PM

Oddity at the MSP airport

Unless my jeg-lagged eyes were completely deserting me, an SR-71/whatever-NASA-calls it was sitting out at the airport with an engine sitting next to it. Weird sight to fly in and see.

Aha! It's one of the surviving A-12 Blackbirds, and had just been rolled out or some such. Normally on display at MSP, I never knew! See here for details.

Posted by duver001 at 5:35 PM

Religion and politics

An interesting article about one church which has separated fundamentalist Christian beliefs from support for fascism. It's interesting to see how controversial this is. We'd really have to look to Franco's Spain to see such an antimodernist, pro-statist movement so closely associated with theology. Hmmm...that's following the Christian model of course, we could also look to Iran or the Taliban's Afghanistan for a comparison with the US religious right.

In good news, Kansas school board members opposed to the real world lost out. It amazing that in 2006, the school board is only 6-4 against superstition and nonsense. Guess it poins out the need for better education.

Posted by duver001 at 1:41 PM

Internationalist republicans, Abe Ribicoff, Lowell Weicker, and the CT senate race

It will nice to see no more of Joe Lieberman and his Forbes buddies. A compromised and desperate Lieberman indeed.

Posted by duver001 at 10:15 AM

Rare clouds over Antarctica

Nacreous Clouds photographed from Mawson Station.

Posted by duver001 at 2:43 PM

"Because I wanted to kill people"

Just why do soldiers want to go to Iraq? The interviewee has since been charged with rape and murder. Unlike his fellow soldiers.

Posted by duver001 at 12:45 PM