Paint it black

Posted by duver001 at 10:43 AM

Closing of the frontier

I've decided to put this blog on hiatus for a while. Will revisit it in the Summer and look at moving the blog to a new server. Cheers, Mike

Posted by duver001 at 5:44 PM

The insanity of college athletics

Well, it seems apropos that this article in The Nation lambasting the spending frenzy that is college athletics appears as the University of Minnesota hires on a $1M+ (on the books) per year new football coach. This is a university in which trash collection is a questionable proposition, I'm teaching nearly 200 students in a peeling lecture hall before they go off to lab to study the wonders of the universe with broken lab equipment. Ah...priorities.

Posted by duver001 at 5:35 PM

Gitmo birthday

Posted by duver001 at 4:22 PM

Creationist tall tales

In books sold by the National Park Service!

Posted by duver001 at 5:45 PM

Robert Anton Wilson, RIP

Announcement on his blog. Whether or not the last decade or two of his writings did anything for you, we're all the richer and wiser for the Illuminatus Trilogy. As always, watching the fnords.

Posted by duver001 at 5:01 PM

Life in a southern town

Well, I'm off of the ice, out of Antarctica. Back to Christchurch, definitely becoming a familiar town for me. A favorite Indian place, a favorite Thai restaurant, and I even found a Halloween costume for next year. Am waiting for a seat on an airplane flying north, to Auckland, and then on to LAX. Haven't been any seats the last couple of days, but hopefully tomorrow...

Though it's a beautiful, green place to stay, I miss people back in the states. And I have to start teaching again in a few days.

Posted by duver001 at 9:08 PM

Snapshots of casualties in Iraq

No comment needed.

Posted by duver001 at 3:05 AM

When libraries fail

Removing The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym in favor of some Oprah bestseller? Is this what libraries are supposed to be about?

Posted by duver001 at 3:00 AM