This weekend

Remember, this Saturday for the official 4th (aka 1st) of July party. RSVPs appreciated but not required. See you then!

Posted by duver001 at 12:16 PM

2006 July 4th Party official invitation

Hello!

I wanted to invite any and all of you out there to my (approximately) eleventh annual July 4th party. The party will be on Saturday the 1st of July, let's call it 4pm or so, with a potluck dinner in there at some point. Kids, friends, SOs, and the like are all welcomed. Both George and Bill Clinton have been invited, so be prepared for the mothership or the secret service. If you would like to, please do bring along some vinyl (records that is) or acetate (78rpm records are also welcomed).

So, let's summarize:

• July 1st, 4pm
  • 3520 1st Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55408
  • Potluck and record albums!
  • Friends, partners, and children welcomed.
  • RSVP not required, hope to see you there!

Cheers,
Mike DuVernois

P.S. We have room for out of town guests as well! Do let me know.

Posted by duver001 at 1:22 PM

George Clinton and Ray Nagin

Hey, C. C.! We've freed our asses, will our minds follow?

Posted by duver001 at 1:15 PM

Best of the Twin Cities

Best local website. Cursor.

See all of the listings online.

A special thrill was seeing Outsiders and Others be selected as best Art Gallery. My little ones have had their art hung there and they just held a most excellent sale and silent auction there last Saturday. Darn it, it looks like I wasn't the high bidder though...

Posted by duver001 at 2:31 PM

Bill of Rights

Wow! 20% of surveyed Americans thought pet ownership was enshrined in the 1st Ammendment. Only one of the one thousand respondants could name all five liberties listed there. No wonder we're losing them.

• Freedom of/from religion
  • Freedom of the press
  • Freedom of speech
  • Freedom of assembly
  • Right to court process

Let's see...yup, all of them are under concerted attack.

Posted by duver001 at 1:59 PM

Hey hey, ho ho, this we know has got to go.

"The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country." --Edward Bernays, Propaganda (1928)

Posted by duver001 at 1:48 PM

Religion and science in America today

The continuing story of how we define this country. Whose country? Whose ideas? Which freedoms? Which path? The BBC reporting on the growing number of scientists concerned about the anti-science being pushed by the religious leaders of the US. There's so much back material to this. What happens when I mention that I do physics for example. Comments of "I did badly in math" or the like are really the most typical connection. Add in a virulently anti-modernist agenda from the right-wing theocrats-in-waiting, and you have the current situation in the States. (Don't believe that the Intelligent Design and related attacks are a planned afront to rationalism? Read their own "Wedge Plan.")

Does it make sense to quote the "founding fathers?" Of course one could find rival quotation I suppose.

"It is owing to this long interregnum of science, and to no other cause, that we have now to look back through a vast chasm of many hundred years to the respectable characters we call the Ancients. Had the progression of knowledge gone on proportionably with the stock that before existed, that chasm would have been filled up with characters rising superior in knowledge to each other; and those Ancients we now so much admire would have appeared respectably in the background of the scene. But the christian system laid all waste; and if we take our stand about the beginning of the sixteenth century, we look back through that long chasm, to the times of the Ancients, as over a vast sandy desert, in which not a shrub appears to intercept the vision to the fertile hills beyond." - Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason

"The clergy, by getting themselves established by law, and ingrafted into the machine of government, have been a very formidable engine against the civil and religious rights of man. They are still so in many countries and even in some of these United States. Even in 1783, we doubted the stability of our recent measures for reducing them to the footing of other useful callings. It now appears that our means were effectual." - Thomas Jefferson, 1800

"During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What have been its fruits? More or less, in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in laity; in both, superstition, bigotry, and persecution." - James Madison, 1785

"As I have now given you my reasons for believing that the Bible is not the Word of God, that it is a falsehood, I have a right to ask you your reasons for believing the contrary; but I know you can give me none, except that you were educated to believe the Bible; and as the Turks give the same reason for believing the Koran, it is evident that education makes all the difference, and that reason and truth have nothing to do in the case. You believe in the Bible from the accident of birth, and the Turks believe in the Koran from the same accident, and each calls the other infidel. But leaving the prejudice of education out of the case, the unprejudiced truth is, that all are infidels who believe falsely of God, whether they draw their creed from the Bible, or from the Koran, from the Old Testament, or from the New." [...] "It is often said in the Bible that God spake unto Moses, but how do you know that God spake unto Moses? Because, you will say, the Bible says so. The Koran says, that God spake unto Mahomet, do you believe that too? No. Why not? Because, you will say, you do not believe it; and so because you do, and because you don't is all the reason you can give for believing or disbelieving except that you will say that Mahomet was an impostor. And how do you know Moses was not an impostor?" - Thomas Paine, 1797

Posted by duver001 at 8:18 PM

Happy 4th of July

Well, not as many guests as I had hoped, but a really good weekend. I think I'll adopt a different strategy for next year's party. Or something like that.

Posted by duver001 at 12:55 PM

Party update/invites II

Invite:
Readers of this blog are welcomed to attend parts of the party. RSVP is requested though!

Updates:
- Paul & Kathleen will be coming in from southern Illinois
- Keith & Debra? will be coming from San Francisco
- Billy Corgan is now officially invited since he wants to reform the Smashing Pumpkins (hmmm...as in form again)
- No birth in NJ (Mike & Val) as far as I know
- Michael Jackson will not be in attendance

Schedule:
Friday, 1 July 2005 - Happy Canada Day to all! We'll celebrate with Canadian Bacon, watching Canadian Bacon, and practicing our evacuation-from-the-US plans. Dinner at my place (3520 1st Ave South) around 6:30pm.

Saturday, 2 July 2005 - Happy 183rd day of the year! We'll celebrate the middle of the year with a big middle-of-the-day lunch (call it 11:30-3:30ish). Potluck for Twin Cities folks. We'll provide the drinks though. Evening festivities are weather-dependent, but a walk to the lakes and some general hanging-out seems most likely.

Sunday, 3 July 2005 - Brunch at the Loring Pasta Bar. Join us around eleven? Pre-fireworks we're planning a wine tasting. Bordeaux and Beyond. Or some silly catch phrase like that. At my place again. We'll make that approximately 3pm. Late night beer and bowling too!

Monday, 4 July 2005 - Happy Independence Day. We'll get up early and shoot at the British. No, no, we'll have a continental breakfast instead. (Same thing at some level.) We will prepare lunch on the gas grill (call it noon at my place). What's more all-American than that? Maybe there will be more fireworks too?

Tuesday, 5 July 2005 - Happy 7/5/5, two months after the predicted apocalypse. Anyone who is still at the party will be forced to watch the Director's Cut of Apocalypse Now followed by Hearts of Darkness. I should probably head to work as well.

Here was the original invitation, from last summer.

Posted by duver001 at 11:55 AM

Party update/invites

For those who have been reading the blog, but hadn't gotten a party invite (heck, I don't even know you all is reading this)... I hold an annual (well, most years) 4th of July party, some people come in from out of town, other folks in town come over for a meal (or two) and a drink (or twelve). This year we'll be having at least one musical act, but no karaoke, good beer and wine, but no Miller Lite, and everyone is invited. So, mark your calendars, and email me if you'd like the official invitation, but you're invited anyway, more details will follow...

Posted by duver001 at 6:23 PM

Update on the 4th of July

So we have the following people who are unable to attend:

• George Clinton, "does not perform at private functions"
  • Bill Clinton, "is fully booked for the July 4th holiday"
  • Ronald Reagan, "has passed away"
  • Tiny Tim, "has passed away"
  • Tony Blair, "is not anticipating being in the United States during early July, 2005"

Darn!

Posted by duver001 at 2:02 AM
  • October 12, 2004

4th of July Invites

First invites are going out for the 10th anniversary Mike 4th of July party. As always, George Clinton will be invited. Will keep everyone (whoever it might be who reads this) informed of what's happening with the party on this page. Thanks much and cheers...Mike

Posted by duver001 at 1:21 PM