James Brown is not immortal

I know we suspected that he might not be, but learning it from the BBC at 1AM in Antarctica made it a particularly large surprise. The 20th Century must finally be over.

Posted by duver001 at 6:40 AM

Christmas music

Posted by duver001 at 11:57 AM

iPod sales to North Korea banned

Just take a look at the Korean peninsula at night. The leadership drive BMWs and Cadillacs, they drink fine cognac and scotch, and the people starve. Read about the plan here. More Hennessey for the rest of us.

Posted by duver001 at 3:46 PM

Something I wish I had gotten involved with when I had a chance

new materials and physical measurements for better acoustic instruments. Had students demonstrating cheap, good, and excellent violins in class back at Penn State. You could hear, feel, and measure the differences. Beautiful stuff.

Posted by duver001 at 9:28 AM

40 years ago today...

...Paul McCartney died. "If you think the harmony, is a little dark and out of key, you're correct, there's nobody there."

Posted by duver001 at 10:41 AM

iPod exchange

From a slashdot discussion:

>> A stranger trying to shove his ear-waxy headphones into me is a total turn off, by the way. And who's
>> to say they don't have a heroin-tipped needle in them or something worse (like AIDS).

> AIDS transmission via earwax? Please get off the net, Senator Frist.

You do him an injustice. this is a serious form of the disease, called hearing AIDS.

This had not previously happened to me until today. Very odd.

More suggested uses of the ipod can be found here.

And CBGBs closed too! More on this later...

Posted by duver001 at 3:36 PM

The Iraqi National Symphony Orchestra

Plays on despite power failures, political and sectarian violence, a culture of anti-music propagated by the religious extremists, and the general lack of security.

Posted by duver001 at 3:26 PM

Flying problems for musicians

Obviously you can't check a 200 year old Italian violin.

Posted by duver001 at 12:28 PM

Sharing music is the best way for the musician to actually make any money

Obviously the RIAA disagrees.

Posted by duver001 at 5:43 PM

For some reason these two articles worked well together

Okay, maybe it seems weird, but here goes:

Posted by duver001 at 11:19 PM

Set the controls for the heart of the sun

Syd Barrett, certainly the source of anything interesting in the whole Pink Floyd universe, died a couple of days ago. The news was just reported.

Posted by duver001 at 11:43 AM

Rennie and Brett in the Minneapolis paper

My old friends Rennie and Brett Sparks have a little band called the Handsome Family. And they're doing pretty well with it.

Posted by duver001 at 4:16 PM

The Marines sing about murdering Iraqi families

Real sweet. Art imitating life.

Posted by duver001 at 1:09 PM

George Clinton and Ray Nagin

Hey, C. C.! We've freed our asses, will our minds follow?

Posted by duver001 at 1:15 PM

Elton John's vampire musical

Sorry! Sir. Elton John's vampire musical went down in flames.

Posted by duver001 at 11:52 AM

Finnish folk music

Lordi is representing Finland in the Eurovision festival. This is the event that launched Abba and Celine Dion and is one of the campiest things actually broadcast by big television corporations. Think of it as public access for really dreadful music. Wikipedia waxes nearly poetic on the discrete charm of Eurovision.

Posted by duver001 at 12:14 PM

Sonic Youth and Calvin Coolidge

The new additions to the Library of Congress's recordings of significant national interest. What a job! Deciding valuable recordings, preserving sound culture.

Posted by duver001 at 12:18 PM

How Ronald Reagan invented gangsta rap

By illegally funding the Contras through cocaine imports into the US which funded the labels and on and on...
It's a beautiful figure. The interconnectedness of politics, drugs, and rap.

Posted by duver001 at 12:27 PM

Dancing is not constitutionally protected

And the number of cities or towns that allow couples to freely dance is down from ~1000 in the 1960s to about 300 today. Didn't Emma Goldman say something about this once?

Posted by duver001 at 2:42 PM

Mila on the Morning Show (Minnesota Public Radio)

Listen here.

And see the video here. Yup, video of the radio performance.

Posted by duver001 at 5:13 PM

Mila pod cast

Check it out... This is leading up to their April 1st CD release party at the Walker Art Center sculpture garden. See their web site for more details.

Posted by duver001 at 11:40 AM

Boy George cocaine charge dropped

And now you know what he looks like after all these years since Karma Chameleon.

Posted by duver001 at 12:43 PM

Barnard Park music

Ah, news from near where I grew up. Beautiful Barnard Park in Hartford, CT. Drugs, prostitutes, and now a proposal to use classical music to reduce crime. Play Bach and soothe the inner beast. Beethoven and reduce the need for ultraviolence. There's also the beginnings of a discussion of this on plastic.com.

Posted by duver001 at 12:59 PM

Turning around...

Has to be seen to be believed.

Posted by duver001 at 11:50 AM

A new threat to freedom!

Morrissey? Interviewed by the FBI and British intelligence? "Hang the DJ!"

Meanwhile, we have Iranian mullahs explaining how the US blew up some religious buildings in a country we invaded because we lied and said that they were involved in blowing up some buildings here.

Posted by duver001 at 4:24 PM

Death by misadventure

For this wannabe rock star. Remember, don't jump on the bed!

Posted by duver001 at 12:59 PM

Live Aid || Dia Evil

Okay, so I had an idea this morning for new musical benefit concert. It's partly tied to Live and Evil being mirror images of each other, and partly to the news that Mladic might be arrested soon. So here's the idea:

• Evil Aid, a benefit from, for, and by dictators and their top minions
  • Increasingly, former dictators are not having a chance to live in Paris or the Upper East Side, they're being called in front of courts, and thrown (gently) behind bars. They have legal expenses! Needs. And feelings too.
  • Can't you imagine Idi Amin belting out The Rainbow Connection? ("Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, The lovers, the dreamers and ME!")
  • Oh, Idi Amin is dead?
  • Okay, so Milosevic sings the Ethnic Cleansing Blues ("Woke up this morning, felt around for my shoes That's when I knew I had them old Ethnic Cleansing Blues..."
  • We find some of the Duvalier clan to come together and sing Ca Plane Pour Moi (King of the divan)
  • Fujimori and Kabila do a tender duet at the piano (No, I will not name the song!)
  • Generalismo Franco is still dead
  • Kissinger and Pinochet together again for a poignent take on Ain't Misbehavin' ("I'm savin' my love for you.")
  • Hey, Iraqi Interim Authority, can we borrow President Hussein? Just for a couple of songs? (Check out the music videos here! We definitely need his production company at least.)
  • And for the final number, as always, we have everyone join in singing We are the World (World Dictators 'R Us)

Send royalty checks to Mike DuVernois directly.

Posted by duver001 at 12:55 PM

Albums with artwork that MUST be celebrated

album1.jpg

album2.jpg

album3.jpg

album4.jpg

album5.jpg

album6.jpg

album7.jpg

album8.jpg

Posted by duver001 at 5:23 PM

Freedom of Choice?

The Devo spawning Dev2.0, the Disney version, is really too weird for words. It pretty much has to come down to someone needing cash from the Mickey Mouse.

Posted by duver001 at 12:14 PM

You know how sometimes you go click on a link...

...and, presto, there it is. And it's really quite strange. And you scroll down, and it gets stranger. And it reminds you that Joy Division was a really long time ago, though I suppose not as long ago as Hank Williams. Senior. So, you click on the mp3s and listen while, oh my god!, the music plays and you read of Tuva and stolen passports. Then you look around on the site, reviews of Captain Beefheart in a Tuvan style. Feynman pretty much has to be to blame for making Tuva hip again. Kyzyl! The throat singing is amazing stuff, but covering the Rolling Stones? They just did the halftime show at some Bowling match or other. And got censored. Painted black. Black as black. The link already!

Music for today, tomorrow, and last Tuesday.

Sample lyrics from KAMGALANYR KUZHU-DAA BAR (We have protection force.):

Yenisei river's banks are full of natural richness, our amazing country has protection force.

Yenisei runs and kicks his banks by his waves, if an enemy invades we have a lot of power to destroy him.

In taiga there is a lot of gold and other richness, in the north and south we have brother countries.

In the south and north parts of taiga there are a lot of minerals and furs, -- we have the powerful USSR giving a happy life to us.

KALDAK-KHAMAR

music - trad arr. A. Kuvezin

lyrics - Salchak Toka

"The name of a mountain pass through Tannu-Ola range at the south part of Tuva. In 1933-1934 the road from Kyzyl (capital) to region on Mongolian border was built; and on this pass for one year people were digging using only simple tools like picks, spades, hand-trolleys and enthusiasm. Now it is road of state importance connecting Siberia, Tuva and Mongolia. The lyrics written by first General Secretary of Communist Party of then-independent state of "Tannu Touva". Salchak Toka, leader of the Government and also one of the great writers of classic Tuvan literature - a Soviet Union State Prizewinner. This song about wish and striving to dig out Kaldak-Khamar pass, to build a smooth road and to rush by an iron devil-car like a kite."

Posted by duver001 at 11:30 AM

The Rolling Stones are now officially too risque for America

Welcome back, Victoria!

Posted by duver001 at 9:59 AM

Don't forget, January is Filk-Song month!

Filk! Thanks Scott.

Posted by duver001 at 9:46 PM

Instead of reading Frey...

Wasted, by Black Flag

I was so wasted
I was a hippie
I was a burnout
I was a dropout I was out of my head
I was a surfer
I had a skateboard
I was so heavy man, I lived on the strand
I was so wasted
I was so fucked up
I was so messed up
I was so screwed up I was out of my head
I was so jacked up
I was so drunk up
I was so knocked out, I was out of my head
I was so wasted
I was wasted.

And save the "Million Little Pieces" of money.

Posted by duver001 at 8:18 PM

Derek Bailey RIP

He passed away on Christmas Day at age 75. In my opinion, he was the great guitar improvisor of the last few decades and will be especially remembered for extending the guitar technique. Had the wonderful chance to hear him play twice and once sit and play with him in a workshop setting. Aside from his musicianship, he had an excellent reputation for supporting and assisting younger musicians getting started, and there's also Incus Records that Bailey helped start back in the 1970s that is still one of England's best independent jazz and improv labels.

Jazz Times tends to have good obits. Which, in jazz, seem to be pretty frequent these days.

While you're thinking abour Bailey, also check out his long-time collaborator Gavin Bryars's web pages. Yes, there is more to his music than either the "Jesus blood" or Titanic pieces.

And, what's this? There's a biography of Derek Bailey out in the UK! Ah yes, Ben Watson from The Wire and the (in)famous Zappa biography.

Bad Christmas gifts

Major label CDs.

Posted by duver001 at 5:16 PM

It's Industrial music day in Swaziland!

But they said that there was something that got to them more than the words of the songs. And that was the beat, the beat! Louder and faster, louder and faster, louder and faster...

Posted by duver001 at 11:52 AM

Audiophilia gone wrong

Is that a $2000 power cord? That has to be burnt in?

Posted by duver001 at 5:52 PM

Coolest looking music gadget!

Wow! Too geeky for words.

Posted by duver001 at 4:41 PM

Sweet blond twin white power musicians?

Prussian Blue. In another few years. .. "I struggled with alcohol and meth until I found my Lord Jesus. My life changed that very day, and I left my hatred behind me forever. Praise the lord." And what horrible music!

Posted by duver001 at 11:34 AM

A new concept in software distribution!

Shonenware!

What a good idea.

Posted by duver001 at 11:18 AM

A test of the web's connections to an individual blog.

So, after seeing web hit statistics for a particular music website, I've been curious as to how many (non-commenting) folks click through my blog entries. As they once said, curiousity did kill the cat, but satisfaction brought it back.

Here are some thoughts:

• Was Osama bin-Laden killed in the Pakistan earthquake? Were his deputies?
  • If that happened, would we ever be able to live down the George Bush talks with Jesus Christ and orders up the natural phenomena type of paranoia, or faith depending on beliefs?
  • In that case, was Katrina a punishment for the sin and depravity of New Orleans and the girls gone wild videos?
  • In Brazil, there's an all bondage television channel.
  • Dick Cheney and Karl Rove. Will they be indicted this week?
  • What are other good keywords that will make search engines happy? Fnord.
  • Hurricane Wilma, the Bigfoot Conference, Dubya, GM and its unions, and bird flu spreading around the world in the news today.

And here are some music links:

Posted by duver001 at 2:49 PM

Lester Bangs en francais?

From this French website, you can download an mp3 of a French translation of Lester Bang's classic bit (from Psychotic Reactions...) Iggy Pop, Blowtorch. This whole thing sets off so many weirdness buttons, it isn't funny. But of course it is funny.

Posted by duver001 at 2:45 PM

Your phone number copyrighted

Just how silly can copyright get?

Posted by duver001 at 11:07 AM

Malcolm McLaren is still in the news?

How can this be?

Posted by duver001 at 2:31 PM

Do they know it's Halloween?

The parody. With Beck and Thurston Moore? A novelty record for our times. Hmmm...make that a novelty CD.

Posted by duver001 at 2:15 PM

Mr. Johnny Cash

The Ring of Fire musical...coming to Broadway! Fortunately, they do not plan on putting Mr. Cash on stage. He's dead.

Posted by duver001 at 6:50 PM

U2's first visit to Minneapolis

With little mention of how awful they are today. I think we all have some nostalgia for Boy, and October, and War, and wonder just how it all went wrong from there.

Posted by duver001 at 10:45 AM

Tunes of late

What has Mike been listening to lately? What music has he been enjoying? Well, in a fit of U2 bashing, I listened to Negativland and their take on I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (see also, the Letter U and the Numeral 2) along with U2's Boy and War. Putting those old cassettes on the stereo reminded me of how low-fi cassettes are/were and also that U2 didn't suck initially. They may never have been good musicians, but the band that put out War and Boy was a quality act.

Swell Maps, what should I say about Swell Maps? Been listening to Jane in Occupied Europe all morning today. (Discography of Swell Maps, from Nikki Sudden's webpages.) Good quality stuff. The CDs are back in print...

The Clash and Duran Duran in the same magazine...

If you missed some of the great post-punk acts, there are two indepensible resources for you. (Well, there are probably more than that, but who is counting?) Trouser Press zine and their published guides, which are now available online, and Rip it Up and Start Again (Guardian review, PR from the publisher, order it from amazon.co.uk (find your own link), or wait for the US edition which is rumored to have sections deleted from it) which is an amazing piece of journalism.

Should I praise the Mila Vocal Ensemble again? They'll be back on Praire Home Companion pretty soon and appeared on stage with Garrison at the St. Paul Labor Day Picnic. Will post an update when the PHC appearance is confirmed.

I should also put in a pitch for CD Baby. It's a resource for distributing independent CDs inexpensively. Good stuff, good folks, deserving of our business. They have audio samples for most tracks.

Also visit Rogaria, home of the Orkerstar Bez Ime.

Schoenberg Concerto for Cello has been sort of an intriguing classical highlight recently. It's very different from the serialism you would expect from him. Catchy somehow.

And the Cassandra Complex...In Search of Penny Century... Satan, Bugs Bunny, and Me. Other than the discography there isn't much info out there on the web. I suspect that there may not be all that many fans of Moscow, Idaho.

Posted by duver001 at 2:40 PM

Wolfram discovers algorithmic music

Interesting, though self-agrandizing. As ringtones, they have merit, as music, much less so. IMHO.

Posted by duver001 at 4:02 PM

Apple's announcement?

We'll see what it is. Since my Treo 90 died (in a downpour), I have been thinking about a new PDA. Maybe PDA/phone. Maybe PDA/phone/iPod?

Posted by duver001 at 10:56 AM

Outlawing lip syncing?

Turkmenistan's president bans lip synching. This follows bans on opera, ballet, gold teeth, and restrictions on long hair and beards. Saparmurat Niyazov's cult of personality has always been a bit weird, but seeing lip synching as a threat is sure evidence of deep thinking about the future direction of his nation. All hail Kibo!

The fearless leader has also banned recorded music on TV and at live events. I'm starting to see a trend here! In fact, "radio and television programmes are dominated by performances of his own poems and philosophical writings set to music." Must be a fun country.

Ah yes, there are ongoing efforts to Turkmenify the population. They recently celebrated Melon Day and the fearless leader had a 300 square meter rug commissioned entitled "The 21st century: the epoch of the great Saparmurat Niyazov." That's ego! (Of course, by writing this, I have virutally eliminated the possibility of visiting Turkmenistan without getting to visit a finely crafted prison cell for a couple of days. Darn!) On the other hand, they granted citizenship to 16,000 refugees from neighboring Tajikistan and Uzbekistan so they are at least responsible in that way.

Are there other good Saparmurat Niyazov stories? Post them here!

Looking at the Wikipedia, there's also the closure of libraries and hospitals, replacing doctors with army constripts, building an ice palace in the middle of the desert, the statues of himself, the super-expensive mosque, and banning makeup for TV announcers. Sounds like a lower-rent, maybe somewhat friendlier, version of North Korea.

Oh yeah, and from the opposition website some English language news on Turkmenistan including banning converted LHD vehicles.

The government site is pretty interesting as well. The Visa application form is available online.

Posted by duver001 at 10:56 AM

Hootie and the Blowfish

Though I hesitate to call it music...they perform at a Wal-Mart! The pathos is palpable.

Posted by duver001 at 10:18 AM

Moog passes away

BBC obit. In his honor, I will play the theremin tonight. If you don't have a Moog or a theremin at home, you can take a listen to Wendy/Walter Carlos. Downloadable if you don't have the vinyl...

Posted by duver001 at 11:48 AM

Carlos Santana and Hiroshima?

Okay, I think it's weird anyway.

Posted by duver001 at 8:20 AM

Myron Floren Obituary

He could play accordian and direct the band with his elbows. He was best known as accordion player for the Lawrence Welk Show. He joined in the 1950s and the show survives in syndication after its 1982 end.

Also check out Accordian-O-Rama. Sales, service, and supplies.

Lots of interest! It seems as though the show meant a lot to many people...

Posted by duver001 at 6:27 PM

The Moon

Google moon is now available. It's a pretty impressive use of mapping software and a web front-end and a nice tribute to the 20th anniversary of the landing. Also check out this site which also allows you to explore the landing sites. Watch for the lunar rover trails... And don't forget Earth Google as well.

Also on a science subject...there's an attempt at a new version of the periodic table of the elements which looks cool, but isn't obviously useful for anything. Then, thinking about the elements, we also have the amazing flash animation of Tom Lehrer's The Elements and the periodic table of sexual positions.

Posted by duver001 at 11:14 AM

Fear the power of the fully operational Death Star

Available on ebay.

Plans are also available.

Posted by duver001 at 2:53 PM

1/2 billion itunes store songs

With the 1/2 billionth coming up, shouldn't people have had the decency to buy better songs? Sunday, at 2:44PM EST, Amy Greer of Lafayette, Indiana bought Faith Hill's Mississippi Girl to win.

Posted by duver001 at 11:04 AM

Didgeridoo playing physics

Instead of talking about the bombs in London, let's look to a study of how skilled players utilize their muscles to play the didgeridoo.

Posted by duver001 at 11:31 AM

Glastonbury is wet again

Looks even worse than the last few years. People swimming to their tents. Yuck!

Posted by duver001 at 1:24 PM

Mila Vocal Ensemble on Praire Home Companion again this weekend

(Taken from Mila's webpages.)

Saturday, June 18, 5 p.m. Central Time, NPR affiliates worldwide
A Prairie Home Companion Broadcast live from Ravinia Festival, Highland Park, IL
Mila is honored to once again join Garrison Keillor and the cast and crew of A Prairie Home Companion for a live broadcast from the 2005 Ravinia Festival. Listen in for some new songs: a sneak preview of our upcoming fall CD. Visit prairiehome.publicradio.org for details. Click here to find your NPR affiliate station.

Posted by duver001 at 4:48 PM

Documentary on the BBC Radiophonic Workshop

"The Alchemists of Sound" tells the tale of how a bunch of geeks brought musique concrete from the (French) theorists to the television screen. Wikipedia entry. Catch it if you can...

Posted by duver001 at 7:18 PM

Clogging rather than blogging

Mila is playing Tuesday evening, June 7th, in Forest Lake (just up I-35 from the Twin Cities. They're going on after The Lake Country Clog Dancers. See you there...

Also, they'll be on Praire Home Companion on the weekend of June 18th.

Posted by duver001 at 9:17 PM

Bud Foote, RIP

One of my favorite professors from when I was an undergraduate, Bud Foote, has passed away. He taught the relatively infamous English Lit class on Science Fiction and is one of the promoters of Science Fiction within the academy. When he retired he also donated his 8000 volume collection of books and magazines to the university library.

"Never argue with a man who is convinced the earth is flat. You have thought about why it is round for maybe five minutes. He spends every waking minute thinking up arguments that it is flat, and he believes if only he could convince everyone, then the problems of the world would be solved" - Bud Foote

Posted by duver001 at 5:31 PM

"Piano Man" in England (Okay, I admit it, I don't have a TV and 89.3 has gotten me listening to the news a whole lot less, so I haven't been overloaded with coverage of this)

Guy in his 20s or 30s is found on a beach, soaking wet, in a suit and tie. He is an excellent piano player, but doesn't speak. No one has yet identified him. Hugh Grant to star in the film adaptation.

Posted by duver001 at 3:52 PM

666 vs. 616

For the heavy metal fans and Heinlein readership, the number of the beast might not be 666. Of course this is predicated on a whole belief system and so-forth. Okay, I won't go into that...

Posted by duver001 at 8:44 AM

An old Courtney Love piece on cheese (no, no, not on cheese, but on the RIAA)

From the days of napster, but still a good read. Many of the same points, sans the mps3 issues, were raised in the classic Maximum Rock & Roll 133 The Problem with Music, by Steve Albini.

Posted by duver001 at 12:21 PM

Tom Waits...Legal Options

Tom Waits is suing over a sound-a-like being used in an Opel car ad. He's previously sued for similar reasons over Audi advertisements. Guess that distinctive voice sells cars?

Posted by duver001 at 6:51 PM

The Beeb requests an interview with Bob Marley

He is still dead though. As far as I know...

Posted by duver001 at 12:25 PM

Martin Denny RIP

For inspiring lounge lizards everywhere, for bringing Tiki to the American public, though we didn't deserve it, for making exotica a CD-classification category at your local record store, here's to you Martin Denny, may your hurricane glass remain ever full with a zombie. Space-age bachelor pad or exotica? Doesn't matter what you call it. As Boyd Rice said in RE/Search,

Once in a while somebody does something so personal, so much them, that it seems just completely separate from everything else. What Martin Denny did back then was completely different from anything people were doing. Later, after he became popular, a million people put out 'exotic' albums, but he was using these strange instruments and these uncliched sounds and I think it had a more direct appeal, was more genuine — at least to me. It was such a strange idea to combine primitive instrumentation with relaxing, easy-listening arrangements — can you imagine the mind that would combine those two?"

Aloha!

Oddly enough, my coworkers didn't know who Martin Denny was! I went around the offices with a handful of memorial MD CDs. Couldn't find too many takers. Left one with the barista at Wilde Roast.

Posted by duver001 at 3:49 PM

Copyrighted silence

Not that you should follow the illegal instructions on that web page. But it does get you thinking about copyright... Of course, one almost has to ask about John Cage's 3'22" in this context. I think that is, however, a different matter, since it really is a piece of music, analog silence as it were as opposed to digital silence (genuine emptiness). But perhaps that's a matter for the philosophers among us?

Posted by duver001 at 11:20 AM

The rollerskating thereminist?

Yup. And she writes backwards.

Posted by duver001 at 6:34 PM

Sex Pistols, opposed to profanity?

One of them at least...while working for Clear Channel.

Posted by duver001 at 7:41 PM

A new Judas Priest album!

With a 13 minute song devoted to the Loch Ness monster! The late 1970s have returned!

Posted by duver001 at 12:35 PM

Another weird book

Think of this as only a lead, into books and music that you might otherwise not find. Secret Museum of Mankind.

Posted by duver001 at 11:42 AM

Bono to head the World Bank?

At first it seems just silly. After more thought it seems silly still, but no crazier than thinking of Paul Wolfowitz running the bank. Can't wait to see if Negativland reacts...

Posted by duver001 at 7:30 PM

Sometimes I miss Chicago

Kasmir S. Pulaski Day - Big Black

Saw something go wrong today when along, when a car went by
Grey car blew up today when along, when a car went by
Never thought it really happened that way
Drew a rod and they blew him away
Down on the south side, out on Pulaski
There were pieces of a man all over the skyway
Well I suffered real bad today, just like in the movies
Why did mm get an mm mm like that?
I even felt a little sick
I never thought it really happened that way
I wouldn't want to check out in that way
Drew a rod and they blew him away
There were pieces of a man
mm mm in the ashtray
What are you trying to prove now, Benny?
What are you trying to call me, Benny?
Better stay out of it, Benny
Stay out of my wayski

Mayor Daley Observes Pulaski

by City News Writer Tiffani Helberg

CHICAGO, ILLINOIS, March 7, 2000 (CN)--While Chicago city offices were closed Monday Mayor Richard Daley took time to officially celebrate a polish leader. Daley visited the Polish Museum of America in honor of Kasmir Pulaski. Pulaski died in the revolution while fighting as a military officer.

Daley spoke about the importance of remembering diversity. He said, “We have to teach our children and grandchildren, not only about Kasmir Pulaski, but about the other heroes that really have made this country.”

Posted by duver001 at 8:06 PM

Celebrity gossip, sounds true!

From Big Wacko.

Swinging Mick Jagger
New York--He's a legend, he's got big lips, and he likes to swing in Central Park. No, we don't mean something of a sexual nature, we mean he actually likes to swing back and forth on a kid's swingset.

Our Big Apple source, Suzi Cannarozzi, says she's seen Mick Jagger "Hogging the children's swings for over an hour, just going back and forth, singing at the top of his lungs." Suzi says the kids seem to enjoy watching Mr. Rolling Stone frolicking in his satin red bellbottoms, but they wish he'd move over to the merry-go-round so they could have a shot at the swings.

One little five-year-old became so impatient he dumped a rainbow snowcone right on top of Mr. Jagger's head. Mick merely smiled and licked off the dribbling juice with his very handy tongue.

Posted by duver001 at 3:55 PM

89.3 FM

Minnesota Public Radio's newest station, 89.3FM "The Current" (huh? why does it have to have a lame name?), seems to have addressed the need of a particular demographic. That would be white, both male & female, in their mid-30s.

Off of the webpages there are discussion forums on the radio station, on the music, and general bitching. This demographic does like to criticize! But this town used to be a Clear Channel town, though Radio K is for ever, and this is a huge step in the right direction. Will public radio listeners support it? Will the Morning Show play less polka? Will our demographic accept advertising-free music?

Jim Walsh asks us to not nit-pick about the deatils. At the radio station, and maybe other places as well. Still, bringing up Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah is like bringing a knife to a pillow fight.

A couple of sample playlists from the last couple of days are in the extended entry if you're interested.

Six hours of 89.3FM on the afternoon of the 8th of February.

6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Von Bondies - Poison Ivy
Beastie Boys - Jimmy James
Earth, Wind & Fire - Serpentine Fire
Sonic Youth - Dirty Boots
!!! - Hello, Is This Thing On?
The Postal Service - We Will Become Silhouettes
Depeche Mode - Stripped
The Futureheads - Hounds Of Love
Tegan & Sara - I Won't Be Left
Mojave 3 - Love Songs on the Radio

5:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Robyn Hitchcock 'N' The Egyptians - Madonna And The Wasps
DeVotchKa - viens avec moi
Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - Hard Life
Robert Johnson - Kindhearted Woman Blues
The Black Keys - All Hands Against His Own
Gomez - Silence
The Cure - Boys Don't Cry
Sam Cooke - For Sentimental Reasons
Atmosphere - @ It Again
Run Westy Run - Dungarees
The Good Life - Lovers Need Lawyers
R.E.M. - Shaking Through
Rilo Kiley - Love and War (11/11/46)
Lemon Jelly - '88 aka Come Down On Me
Goldfrapp - Lovely Head

4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Built To Spill - Center Of The Universe
Balloon Guy - Incidentally
Magnet - Nothing Hurts Now
New York Dolls - Personality Crisis
Arcade Fire - Neighborhood 1 Tunnels
Flogging Molly - Screaming At The Wailing Wall
Frank Black - Men In Black
Little Walter - Juke
Radiohead - No Surprises
The Wonsers - Mess
The Good Life - Album Of The Year
The Cardigans - Lovefool
Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - Heart Problems
Kings of Convenience - Homesick
Yo la tengo - From a motel 6

3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Old 97's - Murder Or A Heart Attack
Pete Yorn - I Feel Good Again
Soul Coughing - Rolling
Otis Rush - So Many Roads
Louis XIV - Finding Out True Love Is Blind
Devendra Banhart - Water May Walk
The Jayhawks - Blue
Leonard Cohen - Famous Blue Raincoat
The Twilight Singers - Please Stay (Once You Go Away)
The Hangups - Jump Start
Morrissey - First Of The Gang To Die
PJ Harvey - Rid of Me
Hem - Redwing
Jolie Holland - Goodbye California
Elliott Smith - Ballad of Big Nothing

2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Tom Waits - How's It Gonna End
The Specials - Gangsters
Olympic Hopefuls - Holiday
The Shins - Caring Is Creepy
Air - All I Need
The Penguins - Earth Angel
Blur - Tender
Sondre Lerche - The More I See You
Magnetic Fields - I Looked All Over Town
Moby - Honey
Joseph Arthur - Wasted
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Easy Money
Cake - Daria

1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Nico - All Tomorrow's Parties
Autolux - Here Comes Everybody
Cat Power - Free
Low - California
The Dismemberment Plan - Spider_in_the_Snow
Hank Williams - Jambalaya On The Bayou
Guided By Voices - Chasing Heather Crazy
Dan Israel - Brings you Back
Martin Devaney - Nobody Writes Letters Anymore
The Smiths - Shoplifters Of The World
Interpol - Slow Hands
Andrew Bird - Tables and Chairs
Idlewild - Little Discourage

12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Ray LaMontagne - Jolene
The Walkmen - The Rat
Bob Marley & The Wailers - Exodus
Jason Moran - Aubade

And the morning of the 9th.

12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Trip Shakespeare - Two Wheeler
Chuck Berry - Maybellene
Eleni Mandell - Can't You See I'm Soulful
Sufjan Stevens - To Be Alone with You
Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
Portishead - Sour Sour Times
Mission Of Burma - That's When I Reach For My Revolver
Visqueen - Manhattan
Martina Topley-Bird - Anything
Depeche Mode - Policy of Truth
Arcade Fire - Neighborhood 3 Power Out
M83 - Farewell / Goodbye
Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill
Jen Trynin - Getaway February

11:00 am - 12:00 pm
Baby Fox - Rain
Tom Waits - Make It Rain
Robert Johnson - Stop Breakin' Down Blues
The Black Keys - Act Nice and Gentle
Longwave - Tidal Wave
Bauhaus - She's in Parties
Barry White - You're The First, The Last, My Everything
Belle & Sebastian - Asleep On A Sunbeam
Elliott Smith - Let's Get Lost
R.E.M. - Finest Worksong
Old 97's - Murder Or a Heart Attack
Drive-By Truckers - Where the Devil Don't Stay
The Jayhawks - Poor Little Fish
Doves - Catch The Sun

10:00 am - 11:00 am
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Hiding All Away
Sinead O'Connor - Bewitched, Bothered And Bewildered
Kings of Convenience - Misread
American Music Club - Love Is
Pixies - La La Love You
Sam Cooke - Wonderful World
Air - Kelly Watch The Stars
Low - Broadway So Many People
Juana Molina - El cristal
Yo La Tengo - What Comes Next
Matt Wilson - Raking Service
Luna - Speedbumps

9:00 am - 10:00 am
The Hangups - Sleepy
Delays - Wanderlust
Verve - Dizzy Gillespie , Manteca Funky Lowlives Remix
Chet Baker - Time After Time
Ulrich Schnauss - On My Own
Nick Drake - Black Eyed Dog
Styrofoam - Misguided (feat. Valerie Trebeljahr + alias)
Guided By Voices - Twilight Campfighter
The Glenrustles - Last Hurrah
Halloween, Alaska - State Trooper
Peter Gabriel - I Have The Touch
Olympic Hopefuls - Shy
Neko Case & Her Boyfriends - Guided By Wire

Posted by duver001 at 3:31 PM

Happy birthday Johnny!

Was thinking of something equally random was thumbing through England's Dreaming when I came across the following wonderful hommage:

Following are the birthdates of the Sex Pistols. Keep them on file somewhere as people are starting to ask us strange questions.
Johnny Rotten: Jan. 31, 1956
Steve Jones: Sept. 3, 1955
Paul Cook: July 20, 1956
Sid Viscious [sic]: May 19, 1957
I hope none of you [try] to figure out what signs these geezers were born under because, take it from me, they wuz all born under a bad sign.
Bob Merlis: Inter-office memo, Warner Brothers Records (28 October 1977)

Posted by duver001 at 10:17 PM

Riu riu chiu

Done by the Monkees?

Riu riu chiu, la guarda ribera;
Dios guardo el lobo de nuestra cordera,
Dios guardo el lobo de neustra cordera.

El lobo rabioso la quiso morder,
Mas Dios poderoso la supo defender;
Quisola hazer que no pudiese pecar,
Ni aun original esta Virgen no tuviera.

Riu, riu chiu...

Este qu'es nacido es el gran monarca,
Christo patriarca de carne vestido;
Hemos redemido con se hazer chiquito,
Aunqu'era infinito, finito se hiziera.

Riu, riu chiu...

Translated:

River, roaring river, guard our homes in safety,
God has kept the black wolf from our lamb, our Lady.

Raging mad to bite her, there the wolf did steal,
But our God Almighty defended her with zeal.
Pure He wished to keep Her so She could never sin,
That first sin of man never touched the Virgin sainted.

River, roaring river...

He who's now begotten is our mighty Monarch,
Christ, our Holy Father, in human flesh embodied.
He has brough atonement by being born so humble,
Though He is immortal, as mortal was created.

River, roaring river...

Posted by duver001 at 9:02 PM

Quantegy Inc., RIP

Why should I care you ask? They were the last maker of 2 inch magnetic tape. The news coverage includes, oddly enough, the Wall Street Journal. Steve Albini, naturally enough, has squirreled away a few hundred reels of the tape. NASA is still looking for some... Wilco got two of them from Steve. And no one gets to look in my basement.

Posted by duver001 at 7:13 PM

Guitarists

It feels weird linking to someone else's amazon.com list, but what the heck. And I probably would have chosen a different John Fahey album from City of Refuge, but the list does start with Derek Bailey.

Posted by duver001 at 10:33 AM

I Zimbra

David Byrne / Brian Eno / Hugo Ball

GADJI BERI BIMBA CLANDRIDI
LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM
A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDE
E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

BIM BLASSA GALASSASA ZIMBRABIM
BLASSA GLALLASSASA ZIMBRABIM

A BIM BERI GLASSALA GRANDRID
E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI
LAULI LONNI CADORA GADJAM
A BIM BERI GLASSASA GLANDRID
E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

For some reason, tonight after waking up, tossing and turning, with bad dreams and with general unhappiness at myself, I sat at this computer sending email (in an apology of sorts) and thinking about the Talking Heads song I Zimbra. From Fear of Music. Always liked it and Life During Wartime off of that album. Life During Wartime is also a fantastically good novel by Lucius Shepard. Sort of science fiction, sort of an attempt to exorcise the ghosts of Vietnam with a magical realist Central America and the next war of "liberation." Seems all the stronger with the current events. (Oddly enough, there's a Life During Wartime blog which seems to be mostly bitching about the economy, the election, and bad jobs.) Anyway, back to I Zimbra. Hugo Ball doesn't get many liner note references. Now, during the 1980s, or even back in the day of the Cabaret Voltaire and Dada over Zurich.

Glossolalia of a sort, wasn't it? The Dadaists certainly made that connection to the Pentecost but I'm not too sure that David Byrne intended anything along those lines. Nor is it Sumerian eliminating a non-casual link to Stephenson. African rhythms and the "nonsense" words of Hugo Ball. (You didn't expect this posting to lead anywhere, did you?) The first time I heard the song I assumed that the words were in a language, prolly some African language. Glancing at the liner notes, I caught the vaguely familiar H. Ball and had to look it up. Was England's Dreaming already written at that point? No, it couldn't be, Jon Savage was still working on the official biography of the Kinks at that point. (Look it up!)

So, I Zimbra got me to look up who the heck these dadaist were. A few years later, in my college library I discovered a copy of the Futurist Cookbook by Marinetti and that led to a whole 'nother world of weird books for me. The line from the Talking Heads to the Situationist Internation to the Temporary Autonomous Zone is far from straight (perhaps like the roads in Boston, paving over old cow paths) but the connections are there. Which brings us to Fight Club (see A., I'd have to bring it up in the blog eventually) where the connections between fascism (a la Marinetti and, well, a bunch of blue collar folks unifying with two shirts, black, one pair boots, black...) and the Temporary Autonomous Zone (if a fight club isn't one, then the Code Duello meant nothing).

So, is that in some way a positive fascism? A friendly fascism? Certainly George Bush and company are more sinister than any Project Mayhem. Where we were supposed to be revolted, we cheered for the waiters and projectionists and testicular cancer survivors. And we hated ourselves for it. The Futurists wanted impressive architecture, and we got ovens, we wanted Pax Americana and got Iraqis in black hoods, like Hugo reciting his poem Karavane in the photo to the left.

"Our cabaret is a gesture. Every word that is spoken and sung here says at least one thing: that this humiliating age has not succeeded in winning our respect. What could be respectable and impressive about it? Its cannons? Our big Drum drowns them. Its idealism?That has long been a laughingstock, in its popular and its academic edition. The grandiose slaughters and cannibalistic exploits? Our spontaneous foolishness and our enthusiasm for illusion will destroy them.” - Hugo Ball

Posted by duver001 at 2:01 AM

Mila does Prairie Home Companion

The Mila Vocal Ensemble will be on Garrison Keillor's A Prairie Home Companion this weekend. Do check it out!

Hi Anne, is this less embarassing than other possible blog topics?

The new Mila CD (listed in Apple's cddb a week after it came out...) is also available for order on the webpage. <= Shameless plug here!

Posted by duver001 at 6:20 PM

Negativland, copyright, and Jesus

MN Artists interview with Mark Hosler of Negativland.

Posted by duver001 at 12:18 PM

Free Speech and Intellectual Property

The Negativland-U2 business has been covered before here, see music links, but the Negativland iPod for sale on eBay was removed for violations of IP protections. Irony at its best. Perhaps the Negativland folks didn't want their images used for the sale? Or U2 was upset? Or Apple?

Furthering the wonderful IP developments in the US is the new policy that US free speech only applies to Americans. Books banned by a foreign country can no longer be published in the US!!! Dr. Zhivago is the mentioned example of a book, banned by Soviet Russia, that under the current rules would not be publishable in the states. Best guess is that this is a Saudi Arabia concession. Though our government might be sponsoring the interests of the Chinese, Burmese, or Pakistani dictactorships instead.

Society had become divided into two ideologically hostile camps, and each viewed the other with suspicion. - Thucydides

Posted by duver001 at 7:34 PM

The Ukraine, in music

It's been interesting following the protests in Kiev over the stolen Ukrainian election. Beautiful seeing democracy coming peacefully to this part of the world. A lot of folks have mentioned the hip-hop song of Ukrainian protest in the news. You can listen to the song here. Without speaking any Ukrainian, I think I can understand a good fraction of it.

On a local note, the Mila Vocal Ensemble performed this weekend at Unity Church in St. Paul, playing the folk music of the Ukraine, among other nations/cultures. Worth checking them out...

Weirdly enough, the wikipedia coverage of the Ukrainian "Orange Revolution" is worth checking out. Current affairs in an encyclopedia? I think some of the strengths of the wikipedia are being shown here.

Posted by duver001 at 12:21 AM

A true milestone in music history

The digital accordian. New from Roland. With MIDI, onboard speakers, and physical modeling. But no accordian jokes please!

Posted by duver001 at 12:38 AM

Jandek, unveiled! At long last!

We all knew and loved Jandek's (click here for an overview from Seth Tisue if you aren't up on it) music for years, remember the thrill of discovering a new record that was available? Well, even if not, there was the thrill of seeing Jandek written up in Songs in the Key of Z (which is a highly recommended written take on outsider music).

Jandek, being anonymous, was an ideal outsider.

Now however, with a documentary film, Jandek on Corwood, and even Jandek playing LIVE in Glasgow, Jandek is no longer anonymous. Heck, he even seemed "happy and godlike" according to David Tibet (of Current 93 etc.).

Very interesting indeed. The musical outsider coming in from the cold, to the love and respect of a very weird bunch of folks.

Posted by duver001 at 2:17 PM

John Balance, dead after losing his balance. (Sorry!)

That would be the founder of Coil and member of Current 93, Death in June, Psychic TV, Nurse with Wound, and that general circle of goth-industrial-experimental music. Announcement. Book of condolences. Died after falling down while drunk.

In unrelated news, Bob Dylan was declared to hate our freedoms and want Osama Bin-Laden to win.

Posted by duver001 at 11:51 AM

Best Halloween Song you ask?

"Arlene" by the Handsome Family (find it yourself!)
Rennie & Brett's blugeoning murder classic is the definitive Halloween song, IMHO.

(The Cramps, Alien Sex Fiend, Nick Cave, Throbbing Gristle, Masonna, Merzbow, Diamanda Galas, and Tiny Tim were all considered, do be assured of that.)

Posted by duver001 at 9:14 PM

Sing along to the animated elements

Tom Lehrer, twice the genius of the Beatles, even now.

Posted by duver001 at 8:01 PM

Albini & Genesis

After a meeting on Fleet Street in London, a group of us go to have dinner, as a guest of our sponsor, at the Wig and Pen Club, before seeing Skullflower.

A stone's throw from the Old Bailey, the Wig and Pen Club is housed in a building that was built in 1625, one of the few in the area to survived the Great Fire of 1666. The walls are covered with about a century's worth of caricatures of noted jurists and journalists, newspaper clippings of articles describing great deeds of various club members, their Times obituaries, and memorial dinner menus. A letter from the newly-reelected President Nixon proclaims his gratitude to the members of the club for their support, and foretells great achievements in his second administration.

We enter the bar to await our table. One of our hosts asks me what I'd like to drink.

"I'll have what he's having," I said, pointing to our sponsor, Genesis P. Orridge. I figure this is the best way to ensure a properly English libation to start off an evening of English dining.

After a few moments, I'm handed a bottle of beer. "Have you ever had one of these before?"

It's a Rolling Rock.

-Steve Albini

Posted by duver001 at 7:57 PM

Psychick TV (3rd iteration)

And Genesis is, well, a bit different these days. He and Lady Jaye are using cosmetic surgery to androgynize to the same final state. That is, to each remove their genders and arrive at a common median. Okay, it's a bit weird, but it's Gen.

PTV3 seems to have a web presence only via the Genesis central pages. Knitting Factory next week, DNA Lounge, Sabala's, and Empty Bottle...

Well, otherwise we can go back to playing the 24 hours of Throbbing Gristle.

Posted by duver001 at 8:13 PM

More Peel slowly and see

It's gratifying to see that there are a whole lot of people out there who agree that John Peel was one of the most influencial people in music over the last few decades. In the 1980s, buying a Peel Session slab of vinyl was generally a good way of discovering a new band or renewing an old friendship. Catching Peel on the BBC World Service was a reason to own a shortwave. Image the Sex Pistols, or the Jesus and Mary Chain, or the Cure without John Peel? Nearly impossible.

There's an excellent discussion going on on Plastic. I wanted to highlight the observation that Peel never got linked to a musical genre, here was an older family man who genuinely appreciated punk, reggae, hip-hop, and electronica. And long before most "cool" people did. And he let everyone know what music was crap with his dry wit.

Scotsman coverage of Peel's death in light of his new BBC schedule.

BBC Radio 1: Peel Show home.

"Perhaps it's possible that John can form some kind of nightmarish career out of his enthusiasm for unlistenable records and his delight in writing long and facetious essays." - from a school report

"I can't listen to it now without getting all dewy-eyed. And if I play it on the radio, I have to segue it into the front of another record because I can't speak after I've heard it." — John Peel on "Teenage Kicks," The Undertones

With a record collection estimated in the hundreds of thousands of albums (!!!), here's hoping that someone will digitalize them and make them available online. (Yeah, right.)

Another great story was Billy Bragg showing up at the studio with food and a demo after hearing John Peel announce on the air that he was hungry. Online sources name it as a "mushroom biryani." I couldn't make that up.

"I'm not looking for a new England..." - Billy Bragg

Posted by duver001 at 11:43 AM

U2 and Negativland

It's been a while since the U2 vs. Negativland controversy (See here or look below at the extended entry for an ultraquick recap), and I hadn't followed much of what either band has done since 1994 or so.

Looking briefly, I find that there is a U2 special edition ipod available. (BTW, am I the only person who is consistently impressed with the simplicity and clarity of both Apple's web pages and Apple's web page naming?) Looks stylish.

Negativland's webpages show the availability of their long-anticipated movie (available via P2P and Bit Torrent) Mashin of the Christ and extensive pages on copyright and related subjects.

Okay, Negativland is a sample-based band. They made a parody of U2's music and released it with a record cover showing the U2 spy plane. Lawyers got involved and almost all copies were destroyed. Band and label then fought over money. Hijink all around. An interview with the Edge of U2 from Mondo 2000.

Posted by duver001 at 4:08 PM

Corbett interview

Speaking of John Corbett, there's an interview in Jazz Weekly. New book coming soon.

O for a voice like thunder, and a tongue
To drown the throat of war! -- When the senses
Are shaken, and the soul is driven to madness,
Who can stand? When the souls of the oppressed
Fight in the troubled air that rages, who can stand?
-- William Blake, "Enoch: The first city of angels"

Posted by duver001 at 1:36 AM

John Corbett, from the depths of past reading

If we modify those aspects of Mulvey's [ed note -- Laura Mulvey, feminist film theorist] analysis that are specific to film, in particular the way that compulsive sadistic response to threat is rationalized via narrative, it becomes clear that a similar mechanism propels the commodification of music objects. Consumerist compulsion is rationalized in a narrative of trends and styles, the object's story of becoming obsolete. Through an intricate interweaving of disavowal and fascination, the music industry has succeeded in seizing a medium that optimizes both. Voyeuristic fascination is concentrated into issues of fidelity; 'unfaithful' music objects (scratched records, obsolete technology) are diagnosed and controlled. Fetishistic pleasure is organized around the reconstitution of the visual and the substitution of musical objects for the impending loss that they trigger. Thus, in fetishistic audiophilia the scramble to negotiate the menacing void manifests itself in one of three ways: (1) the attempt to reconstitute the image of the disembodied voice; (2) the assertion of the autonomy of sound and the fetishization of audio equipment; and (3) the attempt to fill the void with recorded music objects.

Free, Single, and Disengaged: Listening Pleasure and the Popular Music Object, by John Corbett, from Extended Play: Sounding Off from John Cage to Dr. Funkenstein, (a collection of essays, profiles, and interviews by Corbett).

Posted by duver001 at 12:02 PM

Funny slashdot poll

Here.

Or we can just quote Douglas Adams and move on...

I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies. Anything that is in the world when you're born is normal and ordinary and is just part of the way the world works. Anything that's invented between when you're fifteen and thirty five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it. Anything invented after you're after thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

Posted by duver001 at 8:49 PM