Dubya

Posted by duver001 at 6:38 PM

So here's just about the weirdest thing I've seen recently

Dubya's new ranch of 98,000 acres in Paraguay. Okay, here is where it gets weird. Is that his little hiding spot to avoid prosecution for war crimes? Of does the 2.2 mile long runway (look on google earth) mean he's moving full-time into the cocaine exporting racket? Weirder still is the connection with the Moonies and their purchase of land in the same area. Okay, and then the Jenna connection? Too strange for words.

Posted by duver001 at 9:42 PM

Steve Irwin!

Killed by a stingray? Just bizarre. In Fort Sumner, NM, during balloon campaigns, Animal Planet was one of the few useful channels available. Got a reasonable kick out of Mr. Irwin's antics, and his love of animals.

Posted by duver001 at 7:54 PM

For some reason these two articles worked well together

Okay, maybe it seems weird, but here goes:

Posted by duver001 at 11:19 PM

Google Earth Intel

I've been greatly enjoying finding the hotels and campsites that I've stayed at across Africa, South America, and Europe using Google Earth. (The Namibian coast is especially well imaged in my opinion.) After spotting some interesting military items I also found this amusing page from the Register from last year. Finding the B-1s, B-2s, and missile silos were interesting, but the earthen Bismarck in the desert? That's weird. In Minneapolis, I found my car parked at the old Tandem labs. I think we might put out month markers there to see when the next set of images are taken.

More Google Earth thoughts later...

Posted by duver001 at 11:10 AM

Looks like a cloud

Yup.

Posted by duver001 at 11:09 PM

Unknown Weegee

International Center of Photography show.

Posted by duver001 at 2:52 PM

Your photography rights

With a just a quick glance, I found two blogs online that document photographer problems with "the law" (typically actually with incorrect and paranoid interpretations of the law). Photo Permit and Freedom to Photograph.

What are your rights indeed? Well, they can be paraphrased as follows: you can almost always photograph anything in public unless there is a specific law otherwise (like attempts to ban photography in the New York subway system). Film or flash memory cannot be confiscated except with a court order. Take a look at Bert Krages, Attorney at Law's excellent summary and the pdf document of your photographer's rights. Put a copy in your camera bag!

Another, longer pdf is also available online which lays out the same points in a slightly different manner. And you can also look at the model release FAQ for information on commercial uses of photos with recognizable people or owned things. The National Press Photographer's Association has a memo on photographer rights up online.

There's an NPR piece from last June as well.

Posted by duver001 at 4:01 PM

Albums with artwork that MUST be celebrated

album1.jpg

album2.jpg

album3.jpg

album4.jpg

album5.jpg

album6.jpg

album7.jpg

album8.jpg

Posted by duver001 at 5:23 PM

If you haven't looked at hotzone before...

...you should now.

They have an ongoing, excellent, series of articles offering vignettes from both sides of the Israel/Palestine war. Doctors, film-makers, innocent victims. It's good reporting in a blog format.

Posted by duver001 at 3:12 PM

Thinking about William Gibson, Joseph Cornell, and Count Zero

There's this old article by Gibson in Wired magazine on re-mix culture. Makes an interesting case to connect Cornell and the boxes to mash-ups and remixes.

Following on to newer Gibson material, we again have the Cornell-like window montage for September 11th.

Pharmacy.

Object (Rose de vent).

Hotel Eden.

Window Facade.

Solar set.

Posted by duver001 at 2:38 PM

Minilux

Some good photos from a little Leica minilux. I like mine and should post pictures.

See a review here as well.

Posted by duver001 at 5:11 PM

Hurricane Wilma

Posted by duver001 at 10:28 AM

Anatomy of megachurches

Some good pictures in this study of megachurch architecture.

Posted by duver001 at 11:03 AM

Chernobyl revisited

This woman rides her motorcycle through the death zone around the Chernobyl reactor. She has a radiation meter and understands what she is doing.

She claims that about 3500 people have moved back into the death zone, but that only about 400 of those folks are still alive. (A much higher death toll, right there, than my earlier mention.) Other sources say that no more than 1200 people moved in, most of those people moved back out. (By the way, there are claims that Elena Filatova's story, the motorcycle in the death zone, is at least partly fake. Or even more than partially faked.)

A total death toll of tens of thousands are claimed by the motorcyclist and by the Chernobyl.info site. The cleanup workers, the liquidators, would have been the largest group of potentially harmed people. This group numbered about 650,000 in some estimates. Far fewer in others.

Body count? The UN says 56 as of 2005, 47 workers and 9 children who died due to thyroid cancer. (See wikipedia for example, or the previous link in my blog.) Greenpeace and others contest those numbers. The truth? No idea right now.

Posted by duver001 at 7:08 PM

The White Giraffe

It is said to not be an albino, but rather a lighter color than the typical giraffe.

Posted by duver001 at 5:55 PM

The Moon

Google moon is now available. It's a pretty impressive use of mapping software and a web front-end and a nice tribute to the 20th anniversary of the landing. Also check out this site which also allows you to explore the landing sites. Watch for the lunar rover trails... And don't forget Earth Google as well.

Also on a science subject...there's an attempt at a new version of the periodic table of the elements which looks cool, but isn't obviously useful for anything. Then, thinking about the elements, we also have the amazing flash animation of Tom Lehrer's The Elements and the periodic table of sexual positions.

Posted by duver001 at 11:14 AM

Some London pictures

Okay, since I've left the BBC playing on my computer all day, I might as well put something up here.

Amazing that only two people died in that bus. The other photo is, presumably, a mobile phone picture from the Kings Cross evacuation. (BBC)

Personal photos of the explosions. Also from the BBC.

Burn victim being led away.

Emergency services.

Witness stories.

The bus bombing took place right in front of the British Medical Association headquarters. Patient being treated and blood on the wall of the building. (BBC)

UK flag at half staff over Buckingham Palace.

Blitz pictures. But don't get me started on the fascism thread.

Posted by duver001 at 8:20 PM

Zimbabwe

Before and after shanty-towns in Zimbabwe.

Posted by duver001 at 3:20 PM

Zimbabwe's "cleanup" continues...

...with no real resistance. It looks like some sort of enforced ruralization to eliminate the urban poor pockets of opposition to Mugabe. Not quite Pol Pot, but we'll see how those people make up.

I keep being saddened by the Zimbabwe disasters. A country I didn't quite fall in love with when traveling there, but one that I appreciated and hoped the best for.

Posted by duver001 at 10:54 PM

Too wild for Zurich

Here in the Twin Cities, we've had various Peanuts characters on display around St. Paul. Snoppy, Charlie Brown, Lucy, and did I miss one?

Anyhow, Zurich was going to do the same with a kinda generic bear (unless the bear is deep symbol for numbered bank accounts) with various paint jobs. But, one of the bears was a bit too much. Best part, the "first class service" label on it.

Did Linus have a year of statues as well? Darn it, my memory is fading.

Posted by duver001 at 12:03 AM

If biten by a tropical spider...

Take its picture!

Posted by duver001 at 11:14 AM

Layout folks having a good time at the paper

Posted by duver001 at 4:05 PM

CNN nuclear plant pictures...was that Iran or North Korea?

Turns out that the photos of the Iranian and North Korean reactors are the same picture. Seems the government sources of the pictures aren't sure where this reactor is. The replacement picture has snow, so that probably is from Idaho or North Korea.

Posted by duver001 at 7:41 PM

The changing taste of American men, as revealed by Playboy

Centerfolds, averaged together by decade. 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s. Thanks to Ryan for bringing this to my attention.

Posted by duver001 at 5:27 PM

Photoshopping away the war...

The propaganda poster used widely came from a decidedly less optimistic and euphemistic event. (Read all about its photoshopping.) US troops shot this boy's mother, father, and sister. The mother fatally. You can see the sister being worked on in the actual picture on the right. The caption with the original picture reads:

Photo by Hayne Palmour/North County Times
Navy Corpsman Richard Barnett of Camarilo, Calif. checks the heart of a young Iraqi boy as other Navy medics treat the boy's older sister, right, after the two children and their family were caught in a crossfire between US Marines and Iraqi soldiers just outside of a Marine encampment in central Iraq on Saturday, March 29, 2003. The boy was not injured. His sister, who received gunshot wounds, was expected to survive. The father was wounded and the mother was killed in the gun battle. "If anything good comes from this nonsense, I haven't seen it yet" said Barnett after the two children and their father were taken away for a medivac helicopter.

Posted by duver001 at 6:10 PM

Nancy, Mr. T, Frogs, Nixon, and Elvis

Somehow it all fits together. Too well. Also check out the best 404 page I've seen in a while.

Posted by duver001 at 12:03 AM

Photos from Kiev

Posted by duver001 at 10:36 PM

Yes, I am now including pictures in my blog

HTML makes sense. Tattoos make sense. Tattoos of HTML seem a little bit dodgy. I still remember when we thought it would be totally cool to tattoo a shell-sort routine in Modula-2 on our butts...

Posted by duver001 at 11:30 AM

The delicate art of the photoessay

Truly, this can transend language and cultural barriers with great ease. And it's from Belgium. Well, from a Belgian site, some chance this is in the UK actually. No Douglas Adams jokes here.

Posted by duver001 at 5:32 PM

Amazing landscape

Storm over Alaskan mountains.

Also check out this photo winner from the same site. 80 layers in photoshop!

Thanks to CG for these links.

Posted by duver001 at 12:48 PM