Buy your Nazi SS t-shirt at Wal Mart

The totenkopf.

Posted by duver001 at 11:49 AM

Today's good guy: Wal-Mart!

Who would have ever guessed? Wal-Mart is launching a plan to try to sell 100 million compact fluorescent lightbulbs to its customers. This sort of scale distribution could have a quite measurable energy-use reduction nationwide! (Horrible confession: I have a stack of CFLs that I haven't installed yet. I know, I know, but I just haven't gotten to it.)

Posted by duver001 at 10:21 AM

For some reason these two articles worked well together

Okay, maybe it seems weird, but here goes:

Posted by duver001 at 11:19 PM

Wal-Mart bloggers

Wal-Mart press releases and other PR/propaganda are being distributed via blogs. So, blog for Wal-Mart. Hmmm...does it pay well? Hey, I could write positive comments about how Wal-Mart helps out state economies by forcing its workers onto public assistance. Or how it improves the trade deficit with China. Or how much electricity is consumed to make the cheap injection-molded plastic crap. Or how much CO2 is emitted in generating that electricity. Or...

Posted by duver001 at 12:34 PM

In the "what ever became of" category...

Most people are afraid of heights. I'm afraid of widths. -Stephen Wright

Posted by duver001 at 12:22 PM

Words and numbers

"A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler..."

The Congressional Budget Office estimated the following costs for an Iraq war:

* Initial deployment of troops: $9 billion to $13 billion

* Conducting the war: $6 billion to $9 billion per month

* Returning forces to US: $5 billion to $7 billion

* Temporary occupation of Iraq: $1 billion to $4 billion per month

Posted by duver001 at 9:16 PM

Back to the J. Edgar Hoover era

As it appears that nearly every US "security" agency has been involved with spying on Americans. Activist groups targetted included environmental groups, animal cruelty (prevention) groups, Greenpeace... It sort of makes sense since we know that Greenpeace was involved with the OKC bombing, and PETA funding the WTC attacks. No wait, someone else was involved in those...

Posted by duver001 at 12:10 PM

Wal-Mart wants to save some money

An amusing memo from the HQ.

Posted by duver001 at 11:25 AM

Diderot

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Denis Diderot

Posted by duver001 at 7:05 PM

Wal-Mart and Vlasic Pickles

So, I bought a gallon of Vlasic pickles from Wal-Mart. You're right, it's evil to shop there and just generally wrong. I was motivated to get the pickles by an article that originally appeared Fast Company (a generally silly magazine, but I do occasionally look at it, if I'm stuck on an airline flight with few other magazines) detailing the hurdles Vlasic (and other companies) have to pass in order to do business with Wal-Mart.

So, I bought a gallon of those pickles ($2.50), and also some sliced pickles to make up for it (see the article), and will document their existence. Hopefully my twin gals and I will eat them all before they turn fuzzy. Pictures forthcoming!

Posted by duver001 at 11:41 PM