Assignment 5- Brittni Dye

Time to narrow it down a little bit! This week involves really analyzing all aspects of product building with the general ideas I've already come up with for the Snow Games theme.
First, I used the SCAMPER technique with one product I thought could use some TLC; The Sled.
scamper
The "s" in scamper is for Substitute. I thought that the shape could be changed from being mostly flat and parallel with the ground to being a sphere and able to roll and slide easily. I also thought using a different engery source such as a solar panel on the back to operate headlights in the front of the sled for night sledding safety.
Substitute

For Combine, I thought about merging together a snowboard with a sled because it has excellent turning skills with just the use of a lean, and it also rides very smoothly on snow and is very light. I also thought about the possibility of having retractable skates on the bottom of sled so one can easily transition from sliding down a hill onto ice for traction.
combine

For Adapt, I thought about sleds used in the past which were usually circular shaped for movability and they were typically rubber tire shaped. Something similar to the sled but with different features would definitely be the Snowmobile because it slides but at a controlled speed.
Adapt

For Magnify and Modify, I thought about making the sled a log bigger to hold many people, and makes it that much easier for everyone to help carry the snow back up the hill. But, it would be way better if it was modified so that it could climb back up the hill itself with some power operating the sled a little.
Magnify/Modify

For Put to other use, I thought about how the sled could help and old woman or man slide down to their mailbox easily every morning, or if there was a shovel attachment to easily control and slide down the driveway while also shoveling it.
Put to other use

For Eliminate, I thought about splitting the sled and using two snowboards together to create a different style of sled.
Eliminate

Finally, for Reverse and Rearrange, I thought about safe ways of riding a sled backwards, making it a blow up sphere so it can roll with safety, or switching it around by having a rounded attachment on the top and a flat sled on the bottom.
Reverse/Rearrange

I then went through the Morphological Analysis Chart to come up with new product ideas branching off the sled idea. I ended up coming up with the sphere shape being really useful when sledding and the material obviously has to be waterproof, ending with the steering, which should be a rutter and a knob just like on paddle boats!
Morphological Analysis

I also did the Tilmag chart just to modify some more ideas for by sled. I thought about protection more and different ways the sled could battle the harshness of winter. I also explored the different varieties of ways to steer it in the snow.
Tilmag
tilmag sketch

I considered Biomimicry for the swift sliding motion that the penguins have and the lotus effect for completely shielding water.
Biomimicry

I then thought back to one silly idea from the brainstorming session called the snow pillow. I just thought that this wasn't really useful until this weekend when I had a sore lower back I thought that would be a really good way to ice your back. If it was constructed with the same material that can wick off water inside and out, you are able to simply walk outside, fill the pillow with snow and snap it back up, then use it to ice your wounds when sledding or playing outside!
silly idea

Finally, I determined the 10 product ideas for the Winter Snow Games theme.

Product number 1. The Snowball Sling. This over the shoulder style sling has pockets and large storage for holding snowballs while running around in a snowball fight, That way you always have them with you and are prepared for launching. The side pocket holds a spray bottle to moisten the snow making for better snowballs. The front pocket holds snowball sculpting tools as well! The material is made to wick off water inside and out.
Snowball Sling

Product number 2. Inflatable Sphere Sled. This circular sled puts you safely inside the highly protected inflatable sphere that sits somewhat upright so you don't tumble. There is a Rutter steering unit and seating inside, and obviously it gives you full protection from all snow extremities.
Sphere Sled

Product number 3. The Ultimate Snow Fort Base. This is a durable structures safe base to build snoeforts. The textured putter shell allows the builder to pack snow on the outside structure. The top is storage for snowballs that transfer to the inside of the fort where the user can load up the spring loaded snowball canons attached to the fort base.
Snowfort Base

Product number 4. Foldable heated chair frame. This is a portable foldable structure that you can place in any snow bank to form a chair. Simply unfold and press into snow. You sit on the form which is also heated by a solar panel in the back of the seat. Perfect for making your own seat in the winter. But not for long sitting because that bum warmer will definitely melt the snow underneath it.
Foldable heated winter chair

Product number 5. Snow Lego's. These molds can be pressed into the snow to form sturdy snow Lego's for building anything out of snow.
Snow Legos

Product number 6. Lobster Clasp Glove attachment. Built eith extra grip and surface area like claws to easily hold onto the tow rope up a hill without as much effort, and so it doesn't rip up your gloves. Lobster Claw glove attachment

Product number 7. Double Snowboard Sled. Two large snowboard bases with 4 seats attached for more leverage when leaning. Also has protection from the elements overhead and in front.
Double Snowboard sled.

Product number 8. Snow Painting kit. This snow paint goes on easy and stays on for displaying art outside your home. It comes eith letter stencils for Christmas greetings and other fun shapes to decorate your snow covered lawn with. Snow Painting Kit

Product number 9., Glowing Snowballs. These are forms of spheres with a plastic textured barrier. It acts as a base for building a faster snowball. It also lights up inside different colors for night snowball fights and makes it much easier to find.
Glowing Snowballs.

Product number 10. The Snowball Shooter. Simply load up snowballs and use the pump action to launch snowballs at your snow playing enemies. Perfect for when your arm is just too tired to whip snowballs at one another. Also comes with a winter hat/face protection helmet for those in inevitable face shots.
Snowball Shooter

Brittni,

I think you did great job documenting your process of structured ideation, but I found a few areas for improvement here. For the Adapt stage, it is a bit confusing, what additional features are you speaking about? You could also explain how you are going to control speed in your new sled design.

I like your idea of creating a protective rounded structure on the top of the sleds; you could illustrate your idea a bit more clearly, so that viewers could have a better understanding of how it might work.

I think it’s a good approach to use both Morphological Analysis Chart and TILMAG matrix to improve your ideas.

You could be more explicit about the Adapt phase, what material should be water proof for snow?

I really like your snow paints idea and a lobster claw glove! It feels though that you could push yourself a bit further and eliminate some of the ideas that do not satisfy Novel, Useful, and Feasible test.

Brittni,