Goodbye

Afrika Tikkun

We have been volunteering at Afrika Tikkun, which is located in a Township. The township is a place were people of color were place during the apartheid to kept white, black, indian, and other apart. Afrika Tikkun is a place were kids can come and be free, play sport and get a free meal (along with many other things). Being able to go into the township help me understand that their is still a struggle in South Africa. That the government has not fully dealt with, and a lot of individual are affected by it. We travel to the local hospital thats inside of the township, but I was not strong enough to go see all of the patients. Reason being my heart could never deal with individual who are sick, in need, and I can do anything about it, but look at them. We also went to a daycare which was my favorite part of the trip. I met a little girl no older then 2, we was having a very hard day. It was her first day at the center and she just cried, it was breaking my heart (I have a soft heart for children). The daycare provider was just telling her to be quiet. I just pick her up, and comfort her until she stop crying. That experience help me grow as a person, because I understood that people do not alway understand our problems but are quick to shut us up. If you truly want to reach someone you have to be understand, even if your having a hard time understanding. In all, I love Afrika tikkun and hopefully ill be able to come back, and have more life changing experiences.

Learning to Caring More

Being in Cape Town, I have learned to start caring for individual way more then I have in the past. Not saying that I don't care about people, but I just have a softer heart for my family, friends, and the children I work with. I never stop to help other that need it, unless it's volunteering. A group of us with out shopping at the Green Market, and great place to buy gift for our families. We stop to get some ice cream and just talk a while before we headed to the house. On our way home there was a little boy standing outside of KFC asking for food. Everyone just walk passed this nine-year-old boy, who was dirty and his shoes were falling apart. I couldn't, We couldn't, we stop and brought the boy food for him and his whole family. The only think I could think, was when I back home I never stop and give people money or buy them food. I just walk right pass them like there not in need. And that just like here everyone walk pass the little boy like he wasn't in need. I have learned to try to help who I can, because you will never know who really needs you.

Coming to South Africa

After having a wonderful Christmas Eve and Christmas with my family, i was ready for my new beginning in my life South Africa. I was up packing until 3 in the morning, for some reason I always wait until last minute, I guess it makes me more excited for the trip. Woke up the morning of 26th ready for whatever life had to offer me. I off to the airport with lots of goodbyes to all my family and friend, but very happy. What a long long plane ride, with lots of movies and great conversation. Three planes later in Cape town, South Africa, receive my first stamp in my passport. Sleep..........