Recently in Clickers Category

Wired Campus: Best Ways for Professors to Use Student-Response�Systems - Chronicle.com

“Clickers” allow students to respond to questions during class using a wireless, handheld device. Instructors can then immediately view and display the results, often in the form of a poll. The Chronicle interviewed Derek Bruff, an assistant director at Vanderbilt University’s Center for Teaching, who just published Teaching With Classroom Response Systems (Jossey-Bass, 2009) after interviewing 50 instructors who use clickers. Some strategies work, he says, while others do not.

Download Flyer

During the month of November, all faculty, staff, and teaching assistants within the Educational Psychology Department will have the opportunity to participate in a few clicker training sessions using Turning Point. You will also have the opportunity to participate in a couple of workshops where you can bring in your own projects along with questions and plug into the TP receivers to start seeing how the clickers might work within your classes.

Below are the dates, times and locations of these sessions as well as the link to the Moodle site where I will upload training materials as well as video and ppts. from the training sessions if you are unable to attend. IF YOU CANNOT ACCESS THIS SITE PLEASE FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO ACTIVATE YOUR MOODLE ACCOUNT AND I CAN ADD YOU: http://www1.umn.edu/moodle/instructor/guides/activate_account.html (send me an email when you’ve activated) This site will be used internally in the department for me to upload all resources and information related to technology resources in the future so I encourage you to use it.
LINK TO MOODLE SITE

If you are considering using clickers in your classes I hope you will find time to at least do some independent training with the materials.

Session 1: CLICKER INTRODUCTION
General walk through on the basics of clickers. See them, use them, interact, ask questions. Two days are offered to accommodate schedules (and voting conflicts). After these sessions hopefully you’ll go back and put together some basic powerpoints and try out the interface to see what questions you have
Date: Tuesday, November 4th AND Wednesday, November 5th
Time: 10-11:30am (both days)
Location: Education Sciences Building, Room 320

Workshop 1: HANDS ON WITH CLICKERS
Bring in your ppts., ideas you have and all questions and feedback and take the drivers seat for yourself. Clickers and a couple receivers will be on hand to get a feel for conducting your own clicker presentations/lectures.
Date: Friday, November 14th
Time: 12-2pm

Session 2: MORE ABOUT CLICKERS
More advanced look at additional clicker features. Details TBD based on feedback
Date: Tuesday, November 25th
Time: 10-11:30am

Workshop 2: HANDS ON WITH CLICKERS
Early December, 2008
- Date and Time TBD