Dear Colleagues,OIT intends to upgrade our UMConnect service <http://www.oit.umn.edu/umconnect/> on March 14, during spring break. The upgrade is welcome because it will offer new utility, but it is also necessary to replace out-of-warranty hardware, and to increase disk space which was reaching its limit. In addition, the new equipment is configured to be redundant for fail over and disaster recovery, making it more reliable for users.
** Adding value **
The upgrade offers useful new functionality including:
- Breakout rooms
- Editable recordings
- Offline, downloadable recordings
A more complete list of functions and their descriptions will soon be available on the UMConnect page <http://oit.umn.edu/umconnect/> at http://oit.umn.edu/umconnect/.
** Changes to service **
After the upgrade, there will be a few differences in service:
- Only the instructor teaching a course will be able to add enrolled students. Staff will no longer have this capability and will need to ask students to initiate their accounts (i.e., log in).
- Adobe Presenter will no longer be available for download on UMConnect, but is offered at a substantial discount as part of the Adobe Acrobat Pro package offered through UTools at http://www.oit.umn.edu/utools/index.htm. Faculty and staff can still publish presentations.
- Due to limited use of the UMConnect training module, it will be available only by request.
** Migration for current UMConnect users**
There are a few things current UMConnect account holders should know:
- Most content can be migrated from an account holder’s content folder by request. In most cases, this will preserve URLs for content used in courses or for other purposes.
- Meeting rooms, groups, and training cannot be migrated. These will have to be recreated by account holders after the upgrade.
- If an account holder has a meeting recording on the current system and would like to edit or download it after the upgrade, the recording must be moved to a content folder before migration.
For more information, see the UMConnect website <http://oit.umn.edu/umconnect/> at http://oit.umn.edu/umconnect/ or email firstname.lastname@example.org <mailto:email@example.com>.