Adding your Netfiles account to GoodReader for the iPad

Picture 1.png    & goodreader_icon.jpg

In addition to allowing you to access files stored in your Dropbox and Google Docs web servers, GoodReader provides users the ability to access files stored in WebDAV servers. For University of Minnesota students and faculty this feature enables the linking of our WebDAV server called Netfiles to the iPad for mobile access of securely stored files.

Why would I want to access NetFiles in GoodReader (especially since I can just use Dropbox)?

This is a really good question with a really easy answer. Netfiles provides U of M users with access to secure online file storage on a university supported platform with 5GB of free online storage. While Dropbox is GREAT for managing personal and professional documents and media, Netfiles meets the security requirements that researchers need for managing things like IRB documentation and research participant information. These are important considerations for faculty and students who engage in academic research at a variety of levels from classroom assignments to thesis and dissertation work in addition to peer reviewed journal submissions.

How do I connect my Netfiles account to GoodReader?

First, you want to make sure your Netfiles account is activated: Activate your Netfiles account here (U of M x500 access only)

After your Netfiles account has been activated, Download GoodReader for the iPad if you have not already done so

To get familiar with GoodReader you can check out our post reviewing Goodreader for the iPad

SETUP NETFILES IN GOODREADER

Step 1: Add a new server in GoodReader

NetfilestoGR01.png

Step 2: Connect to a new WebDAV Server (click "Any WebDAV Server" to add a new Web Server)

NetfilestoGR02.png

Step 3: Input your Netfiles account information as follows:

Readable Title: How you want the server to show up in GoodReader (e.g. "UMN Netfiiles Account")

URL-address: https://netfiles.umn.edu/users/<internetID> (substituting internetID for your UMN X500. For example: https://netfiles.umn.edu/users/gopher002)

User: Your UMN x500

Password: Your UMN Password associated with your x500

IMPORTANT TO NOTE: If you use your NetFiles account to manage sensitive information such as research and IRB information to name a couple you SHOULD NOT INPUT YOUR X500 AND PASSWORD. Instead, input only a Readable Title and the appropriate URL address and each time you connect to your NetFiles account in GoodReader you'll be prompted for your x500 and password. Yes, this can be a pain BUT, it helps in assuring that if you happen to lose or misplace your iPad your data will remain protected.

NetfilestoGR03.png

Step 4: Click "Add" on the top Right of the prompt box when finished

NetfilestoGR04.jpg

Step 5: Verify your NetFiles Account is listed with your list of servers (see below the addition of UofM Netfiles)

NetfilestoGR05.jpg

And that's it, you should be able to access all files in your NetFiles account on your iPad through GoodReader! Enjoy!

NetfilestoGR06.jpg

Additional Resources:

Netfiles at the University of Minnesota

Netfiles Training from the University Technology Training Center

GoodReader for the iPad

Wow! This post really opened my eyes. It would've been great if the edge hadn't have gone off the screen. I think it was the image at the top. Happy holidays!

thank you sooo much…..u saved me the trouble and time of taking my pc to the store……thanks a lot…!

What are the reasons for keeping the rest of the information private?

Nice post. Love your blog

Nice post. Love your blog

Apple now has Rhapsody as an app, which is a great start, but it is currently hampered by the inability to store locally on your iPod, and has a dismal 64kbps bit rate. If this changes, then it will somewhat negate this advantage for the Zune, but the 10 songs per month will still be a big plus in Zune Pass' favor.

Zune and iPod: Most people compare the Zune to the Touch, but after seeing how slim and surprisingly small and light it is, I consider it to be a rather unique hybrid that combines qualities of both the Touch and the Nano. It's very colorful and lovely OLED screen is slightly smaller than the touch screen, but the player itself feels quite a bit smaller and lighter. It weighs about 2/3 as much, and is noticeably smaller in width and height, while being just a hair thicker.

Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I’ll definitely return.

I admit, I have not been on this webpage in a long time... however it was another joy to see It is such an important topic and ignored by so many, even professionals. I thank you to help making people more aware of possible issues.Great stuff as usual.

Good luck getting people behind this one. Though you make some VERY fascinating points, youre going to have to do more than bring up a few things that may be different than what weve already heard. What are trying to say here? What do you want us to think? It seems like you cant really get behind a unique thought. Anyway, thats just my opinion.

You have mentioned very interesting points ! ps decent website .

You have observed very interesting points ! ps nice internet site .

This page contains a single entry by EdPsyitf published on October 10, 2010 10:06 AM.

Dropbox news: 500 MB referral credit for .edu registrations was the previous entry in this blog.

GoodReader for the iPad (paid app $2.99) is the next entry in this blog.

Recent Comments

• ps3 repair: You have observed very interesting points ! ps nice internet read more
  • wardrobe storage: You have mentioned very interesting points ! ps decent website read more
  • Flagyl: Good luck getting people behind this one. Though you make read more
  • Paxil: I admit, I have not been on this webpage in read more
  • malwarebytes: Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is read more
  • amazon: Zune and iPod: Most people compare the Zune to the read more
  • Football Jersey: Apple now has Rhapsody as an app, which is a read more
  • Deividas Kripas: Nice post. Love your blog read more
  • Roseanne Demirchyan: What are the reasons for keeping the rest of the read more