GoodReader for the iPad (paid app $2.99)

UPDATED: As of Jan. 2, 2011, GoodReader for the iPad is currently $2.99

A while ago we reviewed an app for the iPad called Dropbox to help you manage files stored in the Dropbox online space or "cloud" and access them on your iPad, iPhone, Mac and Desktop devices. Dropbox is a great platform to manage files you keep stored on Dropbox servers. Taking online storage a step further, there's an amazing application for the iPad that allows you to access a even greater range of files on the web including photos, video and web links in addition to providing annotation capabilities of text files, native file storage to your iPad, in addition to allowing you to upload files back to the different servers and platforms where your files are hosted. The app we're referring to is called GoodReader and it's just $1.99 from the Apple iTunes Store .

goodreader_icon.jpg

What file formats does GoodReader support?

• MS Office - .doc, .ppt, .xls, .rtf, .and more
  • iWork '08/'09
  • .PDF files
  • HTML and Safari webarchives
  • Photos and images
  • Audio and Video!

What Web Servers does GoodReader support?

In addition to allowing you to access your files stored on DropBox, GoodReader provides access to the following online web storage servers:

• IMAP and POP3 Email servers (allows you to have access to all your email attachments such as articles sent from colleagues or travel itineraries)
  • MobileMe iDisk
  • Google Docs
  • box.net
  • Any WebDAV server (including accessing the U of M's Netfiles web server in GoodReader)
  • Many others including FTP online storage!

GoodReader - Servers.png

How do I use GoodReader to manage my online files?

Once in GoodReader, you have so many options for managing files in terms of downloading files from your different online servers (photo below connecting to Dropbox)

Goodreader_Connect.jpg

And once downloaded you can move files into different folders using Copy and Move options in the Manage Files section. You can password protect files you have downloaded. You can E-Mail files to others, rename them to organize in your GoodReader database, you can also open files in other applications. For instance if you have .ppt files hosted in Dropbox or Google docs that you want to open in Keynote on the iPad you can do so as you please by clicking the ...Open in... button and selecting the application you want to open the file.

mzl.zscxwaeq.480x480-75.jpg  

How do I use GoodReader to annotate my files and documents?

New in version 3.0.2 is the ability to mark up, highlight and annotate your files in GoodReader. This option is best learned by opening up a document in GoodReader and playing around with the different annotation items. Many people, including myself have been previously doing these annotation functions using an additional software such as iAnnotate for the iPad. The challenge with iAnnotate is the files stay in iAnnotate. Having the ability to use GoodReader for annotation limits the need for additional software in addition to being able to upload your annotations back into your hosted file network and keep the annotated files alongside your other files.

mzl.gyayqiio.480x480-75.jpg mzl.nubhaojc.480x480-75.jpg

Download GoodReader for the iPad today to get started and learn more about this software!

I've always beencrazy about using various online rescue files, because it's a very good way to carry my data stable and secure

This is getting a bit more subjective, but I much prefer the Zune Marketplace. The interface is colorful, has more flair, and some cool features like 'Mixview' that let you quickly see related albums, songs, or other users related to what you're listening to. Clicking on one of those will center on that item, and another set of "neighbors" will come into view, allowing you to navigate around exploring by similar artists, songs, or users. Speaking of users, the Zune "Social" is also great fun, letting you find others with shared tastes and becoming friends with them. You then can listen to a playlist created based on an amalgamation of what all your friends are listening to, which is also enjoyable. Those concerned with privacy will be relieved to know you can prevent the public from seeing your personal listening habits if you so choose.

a person's weight depends on the gravity of the planet he or she is on. Therefore, if that person was on a different planet, the force of gravity would be different, changing the weight.

I was looking at some of your blog posts on this internet site and I think this web site is really instructive! Keep posting .

Very interesting subject , regards for putting up.

I am glad to be a visitor of this pure site ! , thanks for this rare information! .

I was reading through some of your content on this internet site and I believe this website is rattling informative ! Retain posting .

This page contains a single entry by EdPsyitf published on October 10, 2010 10:26 AM.

Adding your Netfiles account to GoodReader for the iPad was the previous entry in this blog.

Apple iPad and Projecting is the next entry in this blog.

Recent Comments

• ps3 repair: I was reading through some of your content on this read more
  • wardrobe storage: I am glad to be a visitor of this pure read more
  • dinner and a movie: Very interesting subject , regards for putting up. read more
  • wardrobe storage: I was looking at some of your blog posts on read more
  • vitamins and Herbs: a person's weight depends on the gravity of the planet read more
  • amazon shopping: This is getting a bit more subjective, but I much read more
  • Chelsea : allright! read more
  • Suzyperry@msn.com: I've always beencrazy about using various online rescue files, because read more