Recently in GoodReader Category

Picture 1.png    & goodreader_icon.jpg

In addition to allowing you to access files stored in your Dropbox and Google Docs web servers, GoodReader provides users the ability to access files stored in WebDAV servers. For University of Minnesota students and faculty this feature enables the linking of our WebDAV server called Netfiles to the iPad for mobile access of securely stored files.

Why would I want to access NetFiles in GoodReader (especially since I can just use Dropbox)?

This is a really good question with a really easy answer. Netfiles provides U of M users with access to secure online file storage on a university supported platform with 5GB of free online storage. While Dropbox is GREAT for managing personal and professional documents and media, Netfiles meets the security requirements that researchers need for managing things like IRB documentation and research participant information. These are important considerations for faculty and students who engage in academic research at a variety of levels from classroom assignments to thesis and dissertation work in addition to peer reviewed journal submissions.

How do I connect my Netfiles account to GoodReader?

First, you want to make sure your Netfiles account is activated: Activate your Netfiles account here (U of M x500 access only)

After your Netfiles account has been activated, Download GoodReader for the iPad if you have not already done so

To get familiar with GoodReader you can check out our post reviewing Goodreader for the iPad

SETUP NETFILES IN GOODREADER

Step 1: Add a new server in GoodReader

NetfilestoGR01.png

Step 2: Connect to a new WebDAV Server (click "Any WebDAV Server" to add a new Web Server)

NetfilestoGR02.png

Step 3: Input your Netfiles account information as follows:

Readable Title: How you want the server to show up in GoodReader (e.g. "UMN Netfiiles Account")

URL-address: https://netfiles.umn.edu/users/<internetID> (substituting internetID for your UMN X500. For example: https://netfiles.umn.edu/users/gopher002)

User: Your UMN x500

Password: Your UMN Password associated with your x500

IMPORTANT TO NOTE: If you use your NetFiles account to manage sensitive information such as research and IRB information to name a couple you SHOULD NOT INPUT YOUR X500 AND PASSWORD. Instead, input only a Readable Title and the appropriate URL address and each time you connect to your NetFiles account in GoodReader you'll be prompted for your x500 and password. Yes, this can be a pain BUT, it helps in assuring that if you happen to lose or misplace your iPad your data will remain protected.

NetfilestoGR03.png

Step 4: Click "Add" on the top Right of the prompt box when finished

NetfilestoGR04.jpg

Step 5: Verify your NetFiles Account is listed with your list of servers (see below the addition of UofM Netfiles)

NetfilestoGR05.jpg

And that's it, you should be able to access all files in your NetFiles account on your iPad through GoodReader! Enjoy!

NetfilestoGR06.jpg

Additional Resources:

Netfiles at the University of Minnesota

Netfiles Training from the University Technology Training Center

GoodReader for the iPad

This page is an archive of recent entries in the GoodReader category.

Evernote is the previous category.

IM+ is the next category.

Recent Comments

• PS3 Repair: I am pleased that I found this web site, precisely read more
  • PS3 Repair: I was studying some of your blog posts on this read more
  • PS3 Repair: You have noted very interesting points ! ps decent web read more
  • ps3 repair: I was looking at some of your blog posts on read more
  • ps3 repair: I am delighted that I discovered this weblog , just read more
  • ps3 repair: Very interesting topic , regards for posting . read more
  • ps3 repair: I was reading some of your content on this website read more
  • ps3 repair: I was reading through some of your content on this read more
  • ps3 repair: I am glad to be a visitant of this utter read more
  • ps3 repair: Very interesting subject , thankyou for putting up. read more