iPhone use in cognitive behavior therapy

CBTReferee.gifAs a student in psychology training in the practices of psychotherapy, as well as being a technology "geek" I'm quite interested in how these two fields overlap- whether it is in an impairing, helpful, or supportive manner. I've seen much on how iPhones are being utilized in the medical fields and while I feel some of there seem to be benefits I'm wondering if they are necessary.

It's interesting though, the recent things I've come across regarding the use of iPhones in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). There's an iPhone app called CBTReferee that I find interesting posted on The Unofficial Apple Weblog:
http://i.tuaw.com/2009/12/13/cognitive-behavioral-therapy-in-your-pocket-with-the-cbtreferee/

CBTReferee $4.99US, was written by Andrew Arrow to assist in his personal therapist-directed CBT. Finding himself always needing to carry around a notebook, since negative thoughts and feelings happen at random, he built quite a simple app for his own use. Finding it personally effective, he decided to put it in the app store, not really knowing if it would be useful for others. Feedback he received convinced him otherwise.

The app contains a brief description of CBT and clear instruction on how to properly utilize the app. It's just enough information to get started, and doesn't bog down in theory, so you can get up to speed quickly.

When a negative thought occurs, the app directs you to write it down immediately. Once done, tapping the next button takes you through a screen of ten potential fallacies inherent in your entry. Some of these include: Nothing or All (black and white thinking where one small flaw kills an entire concept), Conclusion Jumping (assuming facts that don't' exist), Emotions as Evidence (assuming that if you feel a certain way, it must be true), and many others.

Read more here about CBTReferee and feel free to comment about your thoughts on this as I mull this over myself.

How the iPhone can reboot education

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/12/iphone-university-abilene/

A newbie here with respect to using the iPhone for educational purposes. The link posted above seems interesting. Professor has students look for relevant information on the iPhone and then has them discuss. Engages students and allows professor to either confirm the correctness or address the problems with erroneous information on the web. One concern with this technology - should the student be responsible for purchasing the technology or should it be the university's responsibility? Or is it just a tech fee similar to a chem lab fee?

iPhone Apps for Education

iphone.jpg

This is a great resource that lists iPhone apps for education. Every app has a description so you know what every app does. No more need to download hundreds of apps to see what they do.

If you are tech savvy enough you could create an app to do this... and then say "there's an app for that".

http://www.scribd.com/doc/23745742/ICTAC-MEMO-iPhone-Apps-for-Education

AT&T, Apple, and The Neo Liberal University

How do the interests of AT&T and Apple support or conflict with the mission statements of Land Grant Universities?

An example from Marc Gunther's blog:
AT&T: Not Cool

I didn't hear about AT&T's censorship of the rock band Pearl Jam until a friend in the social investing world told me about it. If you were not paying attention to the Lollapalooza music festival staged recently in Chicago, you probably didn't hear about it either. But a whole lot of people have heard about it, and that's a problem for AT&T.