Process 4: Presentation, Revision, and Reflection

I forgot to say a couple things.

First is my thoughts on presentation:

I decided to present the cookies in petit fours papers, and decorate them in the same vein as traditional petit fours. They are petit fours. I think that's a good concept for a cookie, and allows for more complex and concentrated flavor, like a cookie-amuse-bouche. I also thought it would be easier for judging and for the class to try them, which turned out to be true. Also, I'm not a huge sweets person, I'd rather have an interesting bite of something than a whole dessert. I think these concepts were reflected in my final design.

I designed some small red boxes with cardstock to put the petit four cookies into them. This is not unlike what Reese's does with their peanut butter cups. I found a pattern for the boxes in this great book that I could print onto paper, but the labor intensity in cutting all the boxes and shaping them by hand with an exacto knife and bone folder was too much for the scope of this project, I discovered.

Second is some thoughts on revision/reflection:

In the end, I feel a sugar cookie balanced better with the sour of the curd, in the same way as Bittman's cocktail ratio, and the Ratio reading. The curd/cookie combo was also reflective of the balance in most macaron, which was an inspiration. I'm really happy with how I was able to synthesize my different research, inspiration and experimentation.

These cookies definitely stood out at the cookie tasting event. The presentation was beautiful and the papers made sampling easier. I also really liked the size of these cookies.

The zest and rosemary were a little overwhelming at first, but I ultimately loved these cookies. I'm impressed with all of the research you conducted and the iterative recipes you experimented with. Very nice!

So, my first comment is a suggestion about your blog. When you upload pictures, you can format the size by changing the pixel width. I would really recommend doing this to make your blog easier to read. You don't have to worry about not being able to see small details in the pics either because each image can open in a new window at full size if you need to look at it up close just by clicking on it. With respect to your cookies, I liked a lot about them. I really enjoyed the bite size characteristic. It definitely worked well for this project too. In addition, the mint leaf garnish made the look very classy. Thank you for adding the little side-notes in your blog too. I did not know that cooked/heated butter loses its emulsion and will definitely make sure to stop heating it in the microwave when baking. You may have saved my next batch of cookies!