Northwest Research and Outreach Center - Crookston
Crops and Soils Day
Friday, July 17, 2009 8:00 A.M.
The annual UMC Northwest Research and Outreach Center (NWROC) Crops and Soils Day is scheduled for Friday, July 17, 2009. Registration begins at 8:00 a.m. with the program commencing at 8:30 a.m. The program focuses on wheat, soybean, and corn production practices and will feature a number of great educational exhibits.
The Crops and Soils Day will be held in the field just north of the University of Minnesota Crookston campus and east of the Valley Technology Park along Polk County Road 71. Parking will be clearly marked near the Valley Technology Park and the campus parking lot A.
Attendees can browse the whole area and attend various talks at their leisure. Each presenter will give a formal presentation at three different times over the course of the morning and will be available to answer questions the remainder of the time.
The speakers and topics are:
- Small Grains Weed Control - Dr. Beverly Durgan
- Herbicide Mode of Action - Dr. Jeff Gunsolus
- Symptoms and Prevention of Herbicide Drift - David Nicolai
- Herbicide Resistant Weeds Across the RRV - Dr. Jeff Stachler
- Spring Wheat Variety Update - Dr. James Anderson
- Barley Variety Update - Dr. Kevin Smith
- Optimum Corn Row Spacing in NW Minnesota - Dr. Jeff Coulter
- Managing Iron Deficiency Chlorosis in Soybeans - Dr. Dan Kaiser
- Managing Nitrogen Smarter - Dr. Albert Sims
- Wheat Diseases and Their Management - Dr. Char Hollingsworth
- Intensive Pest Management of Soybeans - Dr. Ian MacRae
The coffee will be ready at 8:00. A short refreshment break is scheduled for 10:00 a.m. A complimentary lunch will be served beginning about 12:00 noon.
In case of rain, a modified program will be presented indoors and the speakers will be available for consultation. Mark your calendars now to attend the NWROC's Crops and Soils Day on Friday, July 17, 2009. For further information contact Jochum Wiersma, Small Grains Specialist at (218) 281-8629.