As prices for liquid UAN (28-0-0) have risen sharply the decision guide for late season N in HRSW had became outdated. The updated guide allows for N prices up to $1.00 per pound of actual N. This would equate to roughly $ 3.00 gallon for liquid UAN.
Some things to remember when you contemplating a late season application of N in HSRW are:
- Apply up to 10 gpa of 28-0-0 with an equal amount of water - the water is needed to reduce leafburn;
- DO NOT apply during the heat of the day - early evening application reduce leafburn considerably;
- DO NOT tankmix this N with any fungicides at Feekes 10.51, but rather apply the additional N 2 to 5 days after anthesis;
- The probability of a response by the crop is about 80%;
- Only expect an increase of 0.5 to 1.0 full point in grain protein with the additional 30 lbs N/A;
- All varieties respond equally well to the additional N;