Learn more about planting winter wheat at an NDSU Extension Service and Ducks Unlimited one-hour webinar on Thursday, July 28, 2011, starting at 9 a.m. Here is a program outline and instructions on how to join this webinar. If you have any questions, please contact Blake or Becky at 701-355-3500.
July 28, 2011 - 9:00 a.m.
Prevent Plant - Joel Ransom, NDSU Extension
- Weed Control
- Water Use and Management
- Cover Crop Options - characteristics and costs
- When and how much to seed
- FSA/RMA requirements and limitations
- CC considerations if want to seed winter wheat this fall
- Management of prior crop residues for winter wheat seeding
Why Growers Should Consider Winter Wheat - Steve Dvorak, Ducks Unlimited
- Economics (Yield)
- Spreading the Workload, etc.
- Environmental Benefits
- Prevent Plant (wet spring and crop insurance eligibility)
Winter Wheat Establishment - Blake Vander Vorst, Ducks Unlimited
- Prior crop (rotation) - early harvest, standing residue and harvesting, WSMV connection, canola is a good rotational crop
- Break the Green Bridge - defer to McMullen
- No-till seed into standing stubble - depth - date - rate
- Seed treatment - defer to McMullen
- Starter fertilizer - share with Hanson
- Varieties - cold tolerance, disease, straw strength and length, etc.
Nitrogen and Phosphate Fertility - Jason Hanson, Winfield Solutions
- Nitrogen rate and timing
- Nitrogen loss
- Protein management
- Phosphate importance - current Vision and DU data
Winter Wheat Disease Management - Marcia McMullen, NDSU Extension
- Winter Wheat less disease tolerance than spring wheat (Joel-Marcia data)
- Leaf and head diseases
- Fungicide application results and timing (w/herbicide-flag leaf-early flower)
To join the Wimba Conference please do the following:
Microsoft Windows users, use Internet Explorer or Safari. Macintosh users, use Safari. Mozilla Firefox does work but issues can occur.
If you've never done a Wimba session, be sure to run the setup wizard at http://ndivnlc.wimba.com/ before the meeting to make sure it's working on your end.
1. After you've run the setup wizard, 10 or 15 minutes before the session is to begin, go to http://ndivnlc.wimba.com/
click on "Participant Login"
Room ID: NDSU_Ag
Name: your name and office - for example, "Joel Ransom, Extension"
2. Once you are logged in, select "NDSU Crop Calls" and you will enter the "room" where the meeting is taking place.
3. Feel free to resize any of the windows or move the video window around.
4. Audio will be one way. You can hear the presenter, but to ask a question, type it in the chat box. It will then be shared with the presenter. That means you don't need a headset or phone, just computer speakers.
5. If you can't make the live presentation, you can follow the Wimba directions above but then click on archive in the upper right corner. The archive will be available a couple hours after the live meeting takes place.
To learn more about participating in Wimba, go to: http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/wimba/
The most important links to get you started are the "Participant - Getting started quick reference," the "Equipment Required" and the "Wimba Login." If you have questions about Wimba, contact Scott Swanson email@example.com or 231-7086. If you have difficulty connecting the day of the conference, please contact Joel Ransom (701-730-0384).