Q: The oak trees in my pasture have dropped thousands of acorns. I've read that acorns are toxic, what should I do?
A: Oak leaf buds and immature (green) acorn hulls are associated with horse toxicity. Mature (brown) acorns are not known to be toxic. If the acorns in your pasture are mature (brown), then there is no risk of toxicity. If the acorns are immature (green), then you must keep the horses off the pasture until the green acorns have been removed.
By Krishona Martinson, PhD, University of Minnesota