University of Minnesota Extension
http://www.extension.umn.edu/
612-624-1222
Menu Menu

Extension > Garden > Master Gardener > Over the Backyard Fence

00 sign and trowel.jpg
Entrance to 2103 International Mosaiculture Exhibition
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Gardeners and non-gardeners! Architects and designers! Visit My Virtual Garden blog and see the amazing works of plant are from the 2013 International Mosaiculture Exhibition, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

Michelle Grabowski passed on this amazing link from a staff member, Rosi Heins, the Andover regional Extension office. Read on and visit My Virtual Garden blog

Enjoy!
jw

Excerpt from My Virtual Garden blog about the exhibition:
"Considered the world's most prestigious competition of horticultural art, the 2013 edition of Mosaiculture is currently on display at Montreal Botanical Garden in Quebec, Canada. More than three million flowers were raised in greenhouses throughout Quebec, and then shipped to the gardens in May, where designers wrapped them in steel meshes to create living works of art. The sculptures are created using steel or aluminum forms that are wrapped in metal mesh, filled with earth and planted with flowers, ivies and grasses whose foliage provides texture and color. Interior watering systems and growing medium were added so that the flowers could last all through the summer till the end of the exhibition on September 29.

Some 50 works graces the 2.2 km circuit through the enchanting grounds of the Botanical Garden. The theme this year is "Land of Hope". About 200 of the world's most talented horticultural artists are taking part in this international competition, representing 20 countries. Entries have come from cities in countries as far as Turkey and Uganda, with China and Japan heavily represented.
"  

Posted on behalf of Gary Wyatt, U of M Extension:

We have scheduled three Invasive Species classes in southern MN in October and November to reach rural residents and rural leaders. We would love to have Master Gardeners attend to meet their continuing ed credits and learn more about invasive species.

Please note the news release regarding our three invasive species classes.  
NR.Invasive Species.Fall2013.pdf

If you have questions please contact me.
Thanks!!

Gary J. Wyatt

Extension Educator, Agroforestry

University of Minnesota Extension

1961 Premier Drive, Suite 110

Mankato, MN  56001-5901

507-389-6748 or 888-241-3214

507-381-3092 (cell)

wyatt@umn.edu

www.extension.umn.edu/agroforestry

Posted on behalf of Dean Herzfeld, Coordinator for Pesticide Education, U of M

A new resource has just been posted on line regarding the use of organic pesticides. It can be found on the Pesticide Environmental Stewardship (PES) web site:

This is a good resource for anyone working with organic producers. It was written by a faculty member in pesticide safety education program at Washington State University. Dean was the primary content reviewer.

PES is a collaborative of state extension pesticide safety education coordinators, like myself, and provides nationally reviewed content on topics related to pesticide application. PES is also 'reflected' inside eXtension.
A great opportunity to dig deep into Integrated Pest Management education!

Extension Master Gardeners may apply these classes toward their CE hours.

Integrated Pest Management 3 (IPM3)
All IPM3 online courses are now open for registration. Visit www.umn.edu/ipm3

for course information and registration details.

CONTACT:
Mark E. Ascerno, Professor Emeritus and Co-Chair
IPM3 Training Consortium
Department of Entomology
College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences
University of Minnesota
St. Paul, MN 55108
Voice:  612-624-9773
Email:  mascerno@umn.edu

Visit the IPM3 website:  www.umn.edu/ipm3

Follow IPM3 on Facebook:  IPM3 on Facebook

Jaime Belden and Liz Dahl are self-described "international activists" with degrees in elementary ed (Jaime), and sociology and the culinary arts (Liz). Jaime is the daughter of our friends Tim and Sandy Belden.

Jaime and Liz are taking a year to live in Nicaragua and share their skills and talents as volunteers at the "Nueva Esperanza" school (trans. New Hope School). They will address two important issues: sustainable agriculture and literacy. Jaime is a bilingual kindergarten teacher and will be in the classroom, sharing the literacy skills and techniques she has acquired over the past 5 years, with the children who need help the most. A trained chef, Liz will be outside in the garden planting, weeding, watering, harvesting or sharing the invaluable skills of growing healthy food with the community.

I was so excited to hear about their trip! What great and achievable goals. Liz and I met a couple weeks before they took off. I passed on a set of the Junior Master Gardener curricula and a whole bunch of U of MN Extension resources including Food Safety in the Garden to help them in their efforts. She and I visited the Horticulture Display Garden, so she could see some of what we did with the kids' program, Gopher Adventures. Read more about our visit: http://justanotherblissfulday.wordpress.com/2013/08/22/junior-master-gardeners-nicaragua-addition/

P1230264.JPGI was out of town for a week at the end of July and holy cow! Did the straw bale garden - and the pallet gardens - take off while I was gone! Just goes to show a watched pot - err, bale - doesn't boil / grow.

I harvested chard this past Saturday - it was massive - probably a little too massive, but I'm game for chard any time. The tomatoes are huge, yet still green which seems quite late for cherry tomatoes and grape tomatoes. Maybe the nitrogen application was a little too much and I should have replaced one N application with a 10-10-10 application? Maybe it's just the kind of summer we are having. Looking over the Extension Master Gardener tomato trials as well as other tomato research in the garden, it seems green is pretty common even for mid-August. Hopefully, we'll get an extended, warm fall and be able to harvest some red fruit. Otherwise, there's always Green Tomato recipes.

P1230263.JPGI am unimpressed at the performance of my seeds in the straw bale garden however. When can you NOT grow nasturtiums and beans successfully? Apparently, I cannot in a straw bale. The beans are only just now starting to vine and the nasturtiums - hello? Where are you? A couple of piddly small plants is all I am seeing - maybe one blossom. True, the seeds near the tomatoes were somewhat overwhelmed, but I would think they would be doing pretty well by the chard where they had space and full sun. The Hungarian peppers are staying compact - and prolific. I haven't harvested those as I am leaving them for the Gopher Adventurers who'll be harvesting and eating - at the last class of the summer on Tuesday, August 20th. So far, I vote for transplants into straw bales. Maybe I'll try all seeds next year? (Then again, maybe not....).

The pallet gardens are over-flowing with mint and have produced a few 'TP1230266.JPGwice as nice' melons and quite a few 'Jack be Little' pumpkins (with more to come!) The pallet gardens have been more interesting to urban gardeners I have talked to than the straw bale gardens. Less expensive, productive, and flexible enough to fit a variety of spaces. There's also a certain artistic and satisfying feeling about reusing refuse materials for garden beds. I would plant these again, but might go vertical and try an herb wall. Anchoring two pallets end-to-end like a triangle (the ground being the third side) would be cool too, and add some height to an otherwise flat site.
This sounds cool! Most of us like to photograph gardens, and here's an online class through Longwood Gardens in Pennsylvania (awesome!). Below are details.

Intermediate Digital Garden Photography
Sept. 9 - October 14, 2013
100% online class

Class contact:
Douglas C Needham, Ph.D., Education Department Head
Longwood Gardens

P.O. Box 501, Kennett Square, PA 19348-0501
+1 610.388.5249; c +1 610.563.8988; longwoodgardens.org

We are offering a fully online course in digital garden photography, September 9 - October 14, 2013. The course would be very appropriate for persons who are already comfortable with a DSLR camera (digital single lens reflex camera) and are looking to take their garden photography to the next level by discovering and applying sophisticated approaches to composition, exposure, lighting, and post processing.

Participants will learn and practice new techniques in weekly assignments and share and discuss the images they shoot through direct interaction with our skilled instructor and their classmates. Toward the end of the course we will focus on some of the popular software that's being used by amateurs and professionals alike to process and enhance their work.  Gardens can be anywhere; participants will be able to take the images they need in their own locations. Anywhere in the world!

Specifically, the course will address:

• Advanced composition, keyed toward garden photography
  • Concepts in exposure
  • The photographic workflow
  • Macro photography
  • The garden photographer's toolbox
  • The modern photographer's software

We welcome college students and Master Gardeners to enroll in Intermediate Digital Garden Photography.

Questions?
Douglas C Needham, Ph.D.
, Education Department Head
Longwood Gardens

• © 2014 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
  • The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer. Privacy