University of Minnesota Extension
Menu Menu

Extension > Garden > Master Gardener > Over the Backyard Fence | News from the Master Gardener director > Q: What if a caller asks about hiring someone to do gardening or landscaping?

Q: What if a caller asks about hiring someone to do gardening or landscaping?

| Leave a comment
A: Sometimes Master Gardeners get questions from citizens asking if they can hire a Horticulture student or a Master Gardener to help them with landscaping around their home.

Hiring a Horticulture student to do landscaping: The Department of Horticulture Science P1040674.JPGno longer has landscape design classes in its curriculum. Landscape design classes merged with Landscape Architecture in 2009. People or businesses wanting to hire a University of Minnesota student should post a job description and salary on is the U of M's online database to help connect students and alumni with employers, volunteer organizations, and internships across the country.

Hiring a Professional Landscaper:
Master Gardener volunteers don't provide free labor for such projects. The caller should consider hiring a landscape professional. They might want to contact a local garden center that offers professional landscaping or call the MN Nursery and Landscape Association. Or, if there's a great looking landscape in the neighborhood,  the caller could simply ask the homeowner who did the work. There are also lots of opportunities to meet and talk with landscape professionals at home and garden shows around the state.

Leave a comment

  • © 2014 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
  • The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer. Privacy