Whether your article is read is often determined by the title. Are your titles doing the job?
Create a promise of what they will read.
- OK: "Downy mildew"
- BETTER: "Why conditions are right for downy mildew"
Use a number--it's a proven technique to grab attention.
- OK: "Soil testing"
- BETTER: "3 reasons to get your soil tested"
Tell the reader how.
- OK: "Emerald ash borer identification"
- BETTER: "How to identify emerald ash borer"
Use a call to action. What do you want your reader to do?
- OK: "Invasive species workshop"
- BETTER: "Join us for the invasive species workshop"
Ask a question that you will answer.
- OK: "Nitrogen after the rain"
- BETTER: "What's happening with my nitrogen after all this rain?"
Try one of these methods!
-Maggie Frazier, editor