University of Minnesota Extension
http://www.extension.umn.edu/
612-624-1222
Menu Menu

Extension > Yard and Garden News > Bird-Nest Wasps

Bird-Nest Wasps

Jeffrey Hahn, University of Minnesota Asst. Extension Entomologist

art5-1_600px.jpg

Photo 1: Birds-nest wasp. Jeff Hahn

Several people have complained of insects damaging their windows and have either described or sent me samples of grass that they found in it.  When asked when they first encountered this, I was told that this was not new from the winter but had occurred last summer or fall.  When the samples were carefully examined, tree crickets were found amongst the grass.  People never noticed any other insects.

However, the tree crickets are not responsible for the grass.  The actually culprit is a sphecid wasp known as Isodontia.  This insect is called bird-nest wasp or grass carrying wasp.  It belongs to a group of sphecid wasps known as thread-waisted wasps.  They have a very thin stalk or waist (actually part of the abdomen) connecting the thorax with the abdomen.  The most common species in Minnesota is Isodontia apicalis.  It measures ½ - 3/4 inch long, is dull black in color, and is active from July to September.

A bird-nest wasp uses a preexisting cavity to construct its nest.  Worldwide, they have been known to use hollow plant stems, rolled leaves, abandoned bee nests, and even crevices between stones.  In Minnesota, home residents occasionally find them inside window cases.  The bird-nest wasp flies to her nest site, carrying grass, sometimes several inches long.  This grass is used to form cells in her nest.  She provisions her nest with insects to feed her young.  Isodontia prefers katydids or crickets - a particular species will prefer a specific insect as its prey.

art5-2_600px.jpg

Photo 2: Grass and tree crickets. Jeff Hahn

Although the activity of a bird-nest wasp can be a little alarming or disconcerting, they are not actually damaging anything.  Just remove the grass and insects you find.  It is unlikely you will have an ongoing problems with this wasp.  If you saw it one year, you probably will not see it the next.  This is fortunate as it would be very difficult to exclude them or otherwise control them.

Lynn Tombers said:

I live in a suburb of Minneapolis in an area surrounded by wetlands and crop fields. I have found grass between the window and screen of a southeast crank-out window at the bottom of the window earlier this spring and again this summer. The first time I saw the grass, I also found grass on top of the actual window frame when the window was open. I cleaned the grass off and thought no more of it. Then today I found grass between the window and screen again. Upon further investigation, I also found "nests" with what looked like egg pods lining the inside the upper window frame/track of the window. I assumed that the grass nest I found was a grasshopper nest, because when I cleaned the grass out, small dead grasshoppers(?) came out with it. Can I assume that this nest belongs to a bird-nest wasp as you described in the article? I too saw no other insects other than the "grasshoppers".

• © 2014 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
  • The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer. Privacy