University of Minnesota Extension
http://www.extension.umn.edu/
612-624-1222
Menu Menu

Extension > Yard and Garden News > Calendar and Contributors: November 1, 2010

Calendar and Contributors: November 1, 2010

Garden Calendar

Check out more fall tips to reduce snow mold next spring from UMN Extension Educator Bob Mugaas, as featured with Bobby and Belinda on Kare11.

Be a responsible gardener and remove any buckthorn shrubs still growing on your property. They're easy to spot late in autumn when most other shrubs have lost their leaves. Buckthorn has green leaves and small clusters of black berries, with sharp barbs sparsley placed. Unfortunately, they're difficult to dig out. Larger plants will require brush killer next spring or summer. Do you have buckthorn in your yard? Learn more about buckthorn from the Minnesota DNR.

Buckthorn (R. Frangula) and all cultivars are considered to be restricted noxious weeds, according to the DNR. Check this list of Minnesota and Federal Prohibited and Noxious Plants by Scientific Name if you are ever uncertain about something in your yard.

Contributors

The Yard and Garden News will now feature brief profiles of the contributors! We've asked UMN Extension Educator, Kathy Zuzek "What do you like most about your job?" and "What are you passionate about outside of work?"

Kathy Zuzek, UMN Extension Educator, Horticulture

The best parts of my job are being able to teach horticulture to invested students and working with other extension educators who enjoy helping others to learn as much as I do. During my 20 years as a research scientist I often commented on how much I enjoyed presenting to Master Gardeners, so becoming an Extension Educator and part of the Master Gardener education team was and continues to be a thrill.

I am passionate about plant hybridizing and developing attractive & adapted landscape cultivars for northern climates, parenthood, Minnesota's Arrowhead region, camping, hiking, kayaking, and my dogs (That's Max in the photo. Kirby, my golden retriever, missed that camping trip.)

kz.jpg

Yard and Garden News Editor: Karl Foord
Technical Editor: Bridget Barton

• © 2014 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
  • The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer. Privacy