University of Minnesota Extension
http://www.extension.umn.edu/
612-624-1222
Menu Menu

Extension > Yard and Garden News > Follow-up on Kathy's article on Winter Burn

Follow-up on Kathy's article on Winter Burn

Karl Foord, Extension Educator - Horticulture

Karl Foord

Photo 1: Buds of Austrian Pine (Pinus nigra)

Karl Foord

Exhibit 2: Healthy buds of Swiss Stone Pine (Pinus cembra)

Karl Foord

Exhibit 3: Dead buds of Swiss Stone Pine (Pinus cembra)

Karl Foord

Exhibit 4: Buds of Korean Fir (Abies koreana)

Kathy in her article on winter burn states the following:

Wait until spring before deciding how to care for your winter burned plants. If leaves are dead but buds and stem tissue near dead foliage are still alive, new plant foliage will regrow to replace winter burned foliage.

I had significant winter burn damage on the following: all hemlocks (Tsuga canadensis), Austrian pine (Pinus nigra), and Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris), Swiss stone pine (Pinus cembra), and Korean fir (Abies koreana). I had little or no damage on the following: Mugo pine (Pinus mugo), Japanese white pine (Pinus parviflora, Glauca group), Limber pine (Pinus flexilis), Taylor's Sunburst (Pinus contorta), and Uncle Fogy pine (Pinus banksiana).

Following Kathy's lead I looked at the buds of some of these plants.

The buds on the Austrian and Scots Pines looked healthy (Photo 1 of Austrian pine buds). There were healthy and dead buds on the Swiss stone pine (Photos 2 & 3) as there were on the Korean fir (Photo 4). The bud sizes are quite different with the one on the right looking more robust.

As Kathy said we will just have to wait and see, but having a close look at the buds gives you a sense of what to expect. Frankly I hope your evergreens overwintered better than mine.

• © 2014 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
  • The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer. Privacy