University of Minnesota Extension
http://www.extension.umn.edu/
612-624-1222
Menu Menu

Extension > Yard and Garden News > Archives > The Smart Garden Archive

Recently in the The Smart Garden Category

P1220417.JPGLandscape design is always a popular subject and smart gardeners think "sustainability" when they plan a landscape project. People are eager to try new things in their gardens. Likewise, our season is so short, we have an inherent need at this time of year to get our hands dirty!

Jim Calkins and I are teaching two sessions (May, June) of our landscape design short workshop this spring through the LearningLife program here at the University of Minnesota College of Continuing Education. These are designed for home gardeners who want some good basic fundamentals on sustainable landscape design that they can apply in their own yards and gardens. These are intensive classes and are by no means meant to replace the huge benefits of securing the services and talents of a professional designer. What we have found is that after taking our workshops, people stop making - like choosing an 10x10 ft shrub for a 5x5 ft area or thinking they need to keep trying to grow turfgrass in a narrow shady side strip along their house.

Hope you can join us at one of our upcoming sessions! They are lots of fun and loaded with information. Visit the link below for more information:  U of Minnesota College of Continuing Education LearningLife Program

Saturday mornings are a good time to grab a cup of coffee, tune tWCCO.jpghe radio to WCCO 830AM, and listen U of M Extension answer listeners' questions about everything from aphids to zinnias, from grapes to grasshoppers. Heck, we just like talking about Minnesota gardening!

Saturdays, 8-9am on WCCO radio, 830 on the AM dial. year-round
Host: Denny Long
U of M Extension Smart Garden team: Julie Weisenhorn, Sam Bauer, Mary Meyer
Extension Master Gardener volunteers: Theresa Rooney (Hennepin County), Darren Lochner (Hennepin County)
Listen for special guests like Jeff Hahn, John Loegering, Karl Foord ....!
Podcasts of previous shows here: WCCO Smart Gardens

Starting seeds = Spring

Tomato seedlings 041414.jpg

Planting seeds is a sure sign of Spring. Luckily here in Horticultural Science, there is no lack of seed starting happening. My Master Gardener friends, who work on campus, and I started seeds for the 2014 annual seed trials in the greenhouses. The trials are in their 32nd year (I think) and this year, over 100 people are participating by planting and growing out the seeds in their home garden, school gardens, community gardens, and demonstration gardens. On campus, our seed trials can be found in the Department's Display and Trial Garden located at the corner of Gortner and Folwell Avenues on the U of MN St. Paul campus. Trials this year include six herbs for tea, and six varieties of container tomatoes, bull horn peppers, spinach, yellow squash, carrots, shasta daisy, and alyssum. Seed trial results are published each year in the spring issue of Northern Gardener magazine.

I also started some seeds for the Gopher Adventures garden. GA is a day camp for kids here at the U. Kids ages 5-13 can choose to do all sorts of activities at the U from computers to rock climbing to art and dance to - yep - gardening. Master Gardeners and I plant a children's garden on the west end of the display garden. Edible plants, flowers, trees, monarch way station, plants for pollinators - even a miniature garden called "Little Goldy's Garden" complete with a very small golden gopher (it's a magnet on a stick). Last year we had straw bale gardens and pallet gardens. The seeds I started for GA are in my office on a heat mat under a grow light. I used a tray with fifty Earth plugs from Seeds of Change. I used my own seeds from home and planted a couple kinds of peppers, nasturtiums, Salvia, Echnicaea, basil, teddy bear sunflowers, and even a mystery seed that will hopefully emerge (and I can identify). This year, we'll be planting Smart Snacks - an Arboretum educational program about plants that are good snacks for people and pollinators.

Seeds are amazing. Everything needed to grow a plant (water and soil not withstanding) are encapsulated in a seed. Everyone should plant a few seeds and feel a little amazed at the result!

P1230029.JPGIn 2013, our Legislature directed the Minnesota Department of Agriculture to develop BMPS - "best management practices" - for protecting insect pollinators - bees, moths, wasps, butterflies, etc. The MDA has published the Pollinator Report: Pollinator Bank, Habitat Protection and Pesticide Special Review. I am still reading it. Thought you all might like to as well.

As noted in the Executive Summary (pg. 4), the objectives of the report are: "(i) provide interpretations of the term 'pollinator bank' and propose feasibility, constraints, and uncertainties of the various interpretations; (ii) delineate past, present, and future efforts by MDA, DNR, UMN, MPCA, BWSR and MnDOT to create and enhance insect (native and commercial) pollinator nesting and foraging habitat, as well as to establish and protect pollinator reserves or refuge areas by using Best Management Practices (BMPs); (iii) discuss efforts and progress on developing BMPs to establish, enhance, protect, and restore pollinator habitat that will ultimately be incorporated into pesticide applicator and inspector training; (iv) outline the process and criteria of a special review of neonicotinoid insecticides, and provide a status update on the process, criteria, and progress of the special review of neonicotinoid pesticides registered by the Commissioner for use in this state currently and in the future."

Feel free to pass it on!

• © 2014 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
  • The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer. Privacy