« Blog Prompt #1: Tracks | Main | Volunteering day 1 »

Blog Prompt #2:

Prompt: Find a social-design issue here in the Twin Cities. Document it. Become an advocate for it.

Response:
I've been having trouble finding an appropriate response to this prompt. It is likely due to the fact that I don't spend very much time downtown, so I am not aware of most of the social-design conflicts that may be present. what I have seen of the city tells me that it is very diverse, and tries to deal with many social issues.

I was struck by how dificult it is to drive in the city compared to in the suburbs where I am from, but conversely how much more convenient the bus routes are. This may speak to the economic status of those living downtown, but it may also represent their concern for the environment. I must say that I appreciate the mass transit system for its ease of use, and availability to everyone. the city is rather old, and most of the streets are narrower than those in the suburbs, and there are lots of one-way streets. this makes it difficult to know where you're going, and I have gotten lost on more than one occasion. I could see a benefit in reorganizing the city streets to be more easy to navigate, and maybe providing more parking. on the other hand, it may be better to focus on cutting back on the number of cars in the city. they make for congestion, and pollution, both of which are undesirable. I guess what I'm trying to say is that Minneapolis/St. Paul were not designed for driving, but maybe that is a good thing.