« Volunteering day 1 | Main | 2-25-08 at Green Central »

Blog Prompt #3: My Evil Plan to Save the World

32581131_37ff3d6db4.jpg
This is an image of red candles lit in honor of the memory of AIDS victims

Download file

This is a song by one of my favorite christian bands, Five Iron Frenzy. It is intended to make a bold statement about how we approach huge issues like povery and world hunger. In escence, if we try to develop a solution that is intended to bring ourselves money or fame, we are approaching the issues with wrong motives, and will ultimately fail in accomplishing our objective. the only way to go about "Saving the World" is out of true love for the people who are suffering, and a self-sacrificing attitude in our work to help them. Idealy, we will recognise that our own feeble efforts amount to very little, and we must pray to God for help in everything that we do. Only with God's power backing us can we truly make a difference for good in the world, because we can only truly be working with the right motive if we let God's word guide our actions.

This is the website of a christian organization for which I have a lot of respect. They are one of many organizations trying to end the AIDS epidemic in Africa. Check out thier website by clicking below:

Fighting AIDS: Get Involved

Being a Christian, I looked in the Bible to see what it says about my involvement in fulfilling the Millenium Goals. Below is a passage that speaks specifically to God's call upon us to help those in need.

Matthew 25:34-40 (New International Version)
"Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’"

In the passage above, Jesus Christ is speaking to people gathered before him awaiting entrance to heaven on judgement day. He explains that we are to treat the least fortunate people on earth in the same way that we would be expected to treat God if he were to cross our path. This demonstrates how important it is to take action, and help those who are hungry, thirsty, sick, or in need of clothing or shelter. Think about your life. how often have you clothed, fed or comforted "one of the least of these"?