« News Lead | Main | Colorado Man Charged After Threats Towards Presdient and Mall of America »

St. Paul Man Shot and Killed During Robbery; Third Homicide This Year

A St. Paul man was shot and killed during a robbery early Saturday morning, the third reported homicide this year, two of them happening last week.

Jeffery Lamont Logan, 44, was leaving the American Legion at 976 Concordia Av. around 1 AM when he was confronted by three men.

Police spokesman Peter Panos said it is still unclear what happened, but according to the Star Tribune, Logan's brother, Charles Walker, said Logan was with a cousin whom the robbers had targeted, which led Logan to step in.

“He was a kind-hearted man, but he wouldn't let anything happened to his own,? Walker said.

They fought briefly, leading to the shooting, said Walker.

Logan was taken to Regions Hospital in St. Paul where he died.

St. Paul Police have arrested a 20-year-old West St. Paul man and two St. Paul men, 27 and 28, in connection with the murder. The three men were booked into the Ramsey County jail where they are awaiting formal charges.

On Saturday afternoon friends and family gathered at the American Legion post to mourn Logan's death. He had no children but loved to dote on the children of his five younger siblings.

Logan was an honor student and earned letters in several sports at Highland Park High School, all despite being born without a left hand.

Kare11 quoted Walker as saying “I never had an excuse for not trying to succeed. He'd always say, 'look, I've got one hand, I can do this. I know you can do that.' He instilled that in me.?

“I know his death is going to impact this community pretty big,? Walker said. “When a nice person goes out with his friends and this happens to him, it's not right.?