This news blog is an educational exercise involving students at the University of Minnesota. It is not intended to be a source of news.

Somali journalist jailed for rape story is released

A judge ordered the release of a Somali journalist from jail Sunday after the man was charged with offending state institutions, the BBC said.

Abdiaziz Abdinur Ibrahim, was imprisoned following an interview with a woman who said she had been raped by five men in military fatigues, the Guardian said.

The 27-year- old journalist was sentenced to a year in prison which was later reduced to six months, The BBC reported.

The woman, Lul Ali Osman Barake, was freed on appeal in early March, but the journalist, who did not report the story, was held in jail, the Guardian said.

After getting the news of his release from the Somolian Supreme Court, Ibrahim said: "I'm very happy that I got my freedom back, I thank those who worked in this process that helped my release including my lawyers."