The Religion of Greed, Black Friday, and Mal-Wart

Last week, I stopped by a re-opened Minneapolis Library, Roosevelt Library. I found an old colleague from the University of Minnesota's Queer Graduate and Professional Student Association working the check-out counter. I returned the book, due that day and decided to take a look around the library. This would be one of the "community outreach" libraries that now are small satellites of the larger central, or downtown, libraries. I checked out a DVD, WAL-MART: The High Cost of Low Price.

Continue reading "The Religion of Greed, Black Friday, and Mal-Wart" »

Thanksgiving: Troubling

Thanksgiving always strikes me as a strange holiday. For one, the history seems a bit too bright. According to Wikipedia, the historic Thanksgiving festival that we often hear about was said to have occurred in 1621, at the Plymouth Plantation. Wikipedia also notes that there were possible earlier harvest festivals to give thanks at earlier points.

Continue reading "Thanksgiving: Troubling" »

No Communion for Obama Supporters?

From Yahoo News: A South Carolina Roman Catholic priest has told his parishioners that they should refrain from receiving Holy Communion if they voted for Barack Obama because the Democratic president-elect supports abortion, and supporting him "constitutes material cooperation with intrinsic evil."

Continue reading "No Communion for Obama Supporters?" »