Two links to share.

How to help our public schools with technology? (from Slashdot - "News for Nerds")
Speak up, educators! How could those from the computer world help you with technology in the schools?

A Web App For Real-Time Collaborative Writing
This could be a very cool tool for writing collaboration with older students!

How will we fare?

I'm watching the News Hour with Jim Lehrer on public television. Henry Paulson is on the show. I'm not sure that he's sure that the billions of dollars being injected into the banking/monetary system is doing much. "Until the correction in housing pricing is done, we won't be able to get much better," Paulson reports.

Continue reading "How will we fare?" »

Did you know?

The film can be downloaded at Shift Happens, a wiki. This is also a great site for ongoing discussion regarding the short film, "Did you know?"

Things I've learned about 2nd graders

I've been working with a group of second graders at an after-school program at a South Minneapolis school. I'm not trained as an elementary school teacher, this is younger than most kids I deal with in my usual youth work. These are kids who are labeled "at-risk". I'm not fond of that term, but it's what is used. They come from below-poverty level homes or have already been identified as falling behind in school. I only have 6-8 each day, but it wears me out. I've learned a few things from them....

Continue reading "Things I've learned about 2nd graders" »

A new presentation...a new blog

I'm going to be keynoting with this presentation this evening in River Falls, Wisconsin at a media specialist forum. This is one of a growing number of professional presentations I am giving. I've never been given the honor of a keynote address before, so I'm looking forward to it. Link to presentation follows.

Continue reading "A new presentation...a new blog" »

E-mail me at