« Fox turning heads | Main | Video helps solve torture case »

Thanksgiving can be stressful

I can't wait for Thanksgiving. I can't wait to see my family, my friends, and those random people you don't know by name but you know by face. Those people that truly make you feel "at home."

With that said, I saw an interesting article on CNN.com about a girl, Lisa Hamlett, and her thoughts on going home to Crossville, Tennessee for the holiday.The main point of the article is to talk about how some college students aren't always so interested in spending the holiday with their parents.

It talks about how, after having freedom in college, it is strange for college students to return home under the guidance of their parents. I agree, I have felt this way as well. As a college student, you are free to being on your own, then you go home and your parents want you to return at a certain time of night or not go to a certain location. Obviously they are doing this out of love, but it is an adjustment.

Here is a line from the article that sums up the point I'm trying to make best.
"Family tension is often a surprising development for students and their parents who reunite during the holidays."

And here is an interesting take from someone at the U of M.

"Thanksgiving is the worst time," says Marjorie Savage, director of the parent program at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis. "It's a shock for kids because they haven't been on anyone's schedule. They often come home with an attitude."

Maybe my freshman year I felt that way. And who knows, I could this year too. But I am going to try my best to stay open-minded and try to look at things from my parent's perspective, because I really don't want to argue with them at a time that is supposed to be all about family.