« Canadian man dies days after taser shock | Main | Vikings turning into playoff team »

Tubby, Gophers win again

It was a cold walk over to Williams Arena for me on Saturday afternoon as I prepared to watch the Minnesota men’s basketball team play UC Riverside. Once in “The Barn? the Gophers showed they wouldn’t be affected by the frigid temperatures, warming up from beyond the three-point line and beating the Highlanders 75-38 in front of 11,232.
Minnesota hit 13 of 23 three’s (56.5 percent) to cruise to victory. Senior guard Lawrence McKenzie, who finished with 18 points, had five of them. Freshman guard Blake Hoffarber and junior forward Jamal Abu-Shamala combined for seven more, as the Tubby Smith led Gophers improved to 4-1 on the young season.

The program-record for three-pointers made in a game is 16. In my opinion, Minnesota would have shattered that mark if it needed to. The Gophers hit 12 three’s within the first 27 minutes of action, but up by 30 plus in the second half, had no reason to shoot many three’s for the majority of the second half.

One more thing. The 38 points the Gophers held UC Riverside to, was almost a record as well. The record-low for a Minnesota opponent is 37, when the Gophers stifled Arizona State in 1991.