« Vikings and playoffs now in the same sentence | Main | Somali pirates? »

Vick sentenced to 23 months in prison

I know you don't like when I write this much about sports, but when one of the highest paid, most hyped, players in the National Football League is going to prison, I have to write something about it.

Michael Vick once one of the most famous stars in the NFL, was sentenced to 23 months in prison for financing a dogfighting ring and helping to kill pit bulls on Monday.

Vick, who has already started his sentence time, was dressed in a black-and-white striped prison suit during his court hearing.

At that time, he reportedly apologized to his family and to the judge for his actions. Interestingly, it appeared the judge wasn't satisfied with that. As he said the following in response to Vick's apologzy:

"You need to apologize also to the millions of young people who look up to you," U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson said.

This attitude by the judge is consistent with reports that he was not satisfied with the way Vick has been dealing with the situation - first lying, then taking responsibility when others he was associated with turned themselves in.