« Vikings turning into playoff team | Main | Teddy bear name causes jail sentence »

Winter storm makes way through Northeast & Midwest

The much anticipated winter snow storm hit Minnesota hard this weekend, but the storm made a lasting impact around much of the Northeast.

On Sunday, a CNN article reported that winter storm warnings were in effect into Monday in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine and into Tuesday in parts of New York state.

Warnings were also issued for parts of Michigan, where freezing rain and sleet was predicted to turn to all snow late Sunday.

I struggled walking in four to five inches of snow on Saturday. I feel bad for the people in the Northeast after reading that the National Weather Service said a foot of snow was possible in northern New England, with the potential for 20 inches in northern Maine.

But even with all that snow, some are feeling more compassion for the Midwest.

"Compared to what's happening in the Midwest, we've kind of got it easy right now," said Joe Orlando, a spokesman for the New Jersey Turnpike Authority.

Hundreds of flights were canceled at the Chicago O’Hare airport by the storm on Saturday. Flights were also canceled Saturday at airports in Des Moines, Iowa, and Milwaukee, Wisconsin, as blowing snow reduced visibility.
As for the state we currently occupy? Minnesota's Grand Marais got 20 inches. Duluth supposedly got 13 inches.

Considering I don't havve a car up here and have to walk pretty much everywhere (not that driving would be much safer), I’m hoping we don’t get anywhere near those amounts of snow......at least my boots are getting their proper use though.