Genetic or Not, Gay Won't Go Away

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/29/opinion/sunday/bruni-gay-wont-go-away-genetic-or-not.html?_r=1&ref=opinion

I found this article from opinion pages of the New York Times. Unlike news report, the author shows his position directly, that is, no matter genetic or not, homosexuality should be accepted and respected by society. Some gay advocates argue their sexual orientation is determined by genes at the first birth, which is unchangeable. However, there are also some bisexuals. Frank Rruni, the writer, points out even though some people choose to be a gay, it should be understandable rather than be considered as an aberrant issue. According to Rruni's views, compared to religious freedom, homosexuality is a way of life people decline to follow, which is nothing related to right and wrong, but need be safeguarded by our laws.
At the end of the article, the author takes himself as an example to support his opinion. I consider personal feelings as a pathos proof. As for logos proof, Frank Bruni cite others words. For instance, he mentions Clinton Anderson, the director of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Concerns office of American Psychological Association and some research about gay's genes. Finally, the writer invites readers to follow him on Twitter and Facebook. In my opinion, this is a way to influence his ethos proof positively.

I had previously read this article; I'm glad someone did a blog on it!
In my opinion, it shouldn't be a question of whether it was nature or nurture, and as the author argues it- it's still something that isn't just going to disappear, and therefore their rights, at some point will need to be honored and respected. It's not necessarily the place of the government to make the decisions that oppress normal people who just want equal rights that they been promised via the Constitution, but not given.

The author doesn't argue about how a homosexual couple may raise a child because that is completely arbitrary to the argument. Heterosexual couples don't necessarily do a bang up job of raising the best children in the best ways, now do they?

And it IS up to the government to make a decision in this case, the constitution provides rights for all men, and states that all men are created equal and thereby have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Really interesting comments here! Soon we'll get to adding some interesting complications to the gay marriage conversation. Great work.

-Liora