FBI offers $1 million reward for agent missing in Iran

By Pete Williams, NBC News Justice Correspondent.
March 7th, 2012

The thought of someone being captured and tortured isn't something that crosses your mind very often. We all know it has happened many times in our countries history and is continuing to happen today. At the very top of this article they show three pictures of Roberts Levinson, the way he looked five years ago before being captured and two more pictures of how he could look now. This is a very effective way to make words on a screen personal in a matter of seconds. I read the headline and then looked at his pictures. The man that I was looking at has been missing from his family and country for 5 years. Visual effect is a powerful tool in portraying your side of the argument.
There is a million dollar reward for the person who finds him. Over a hundred current and former agents stood on the front steps of the FBI's Washington, D.C., office Tuesday in a show of solidarity with their former colleague and his family. Levinson's wife said the following that day. "There are no words to describe the nightmare my family and I have been living every day. I never imagined that we would still be waiting for Robert to come home five years later."
The emotional appeal this statement makes in this article plays a big factor in its success. The author of this article knew going into writing this he would play with our emotions. But to put a picture of the man that has been captured and a statement made by his wife was a very smart move on his part.

-Anna Srock