Killing Us Softly response

Killing Us Softly argued that the way in which media and advertising depict women defines society's norms with regards to women; because women are treated as housewives, sexual objects, and subservient to men in media and advertising, that's how they are treated in society. The speaker made a strong argument, especially with the use of the visuals and humor. As I expressed in class, I think the speaker is making light of what I see as a chicken-or-egg problem. She's blaming media/advertising for causing certain views towards women, but these views towards women existed before advertising of this type. Media/advertising utilize these illustrations of women because people respond to them in a way that benefits media/advertising; media/advertisers are just doing their job. This then brings up the question of how much media and advertising should take on a responsibility for society.