Student Gov't Disappoints

http://www.mndaily.com/2012/04/02/student-govt-disappoints

While we are in the midst of Student Election season (elections going from April 2nd to the 4th), this article seems to hit hard at home at what some students who are the edge about who to vote for are thinking.

It makes one very strong claim: that the students currently running for MSA president aren't cut out to be leaders, due to the fact that they've made "timid, marginal proposals" for student change.

The MN Daily's Editorial Board supports this claim with evidence of last weeks ACEC debate, which turned out to be trivial, as both candidates agreed largely on the same issues on campus today, and both are focused toward "making students matter", yet the Editorial Board argues that "there is little evidence that either pair knows what that means."

In my opinion, I definitely agree. Although I haven't had much time on this campus as others, being only a freshman, I felt that neither candidate spoke to true change for the U, and merely went with mediocre, or "beige" campaigns aimed at pleasing not only the students, but the U faculty as well. Now, don't get me wrong, I find to problem with wanting to attain mass appeal in a campaign, but my thoughts are reflected by the MN Daily's Editorial Board's opinion on leadership: "Occupying a position of power is not enough to be considered a leader. True leadership is exercising that power courageously to serve one's community."

If your opinion differs, don't forget to vote at acecvote.umn.edu !

-Jenna Peneueta-Snyder