tweet 3

For those of you who haven't seen Shameless, it's... wonderful. Please do!! If you don't pay for showtime, you can watch online :0) Email me if you have questions! Bryan331@umn.edu

tweet 2

Just notice what the camera focuses on when it uses adjectives like "beautiful" (flat stomach) RIDICULOUS ... #MLFall2012

Tweet

IMG_5158.JPG

Extra Credit Blog

Andrejevic's article is a very interesting concept to think about. He talks about the technology we have today, the future, and how we it affects us as a society. One of the biggest technologies today is social media. Now it is nearly impossible to find a person who does not have some sort of social media. Facebook has over 1 billion members and its only growing. Also, an interesting point my dad talked to me about is that employers actually are more skeptical of potential employees if they do not have a Facebook because then they think that they are hiding something. The episode of How I Met Your Mother was a very good example of the problem with technology in our world today. Ted tried to stay away from using social media to get a better understanding about the person he was dating but in the end fell to the pressure. This is exactly how people are in real life now. As soon as a person meets a new person they immediately look them up on Facebook and can then see many of their likes, dislikes, photos, and etc. It will be interesting to see just how far social media goes, especially Facebook, and if it will be a larger or smaller part of peoples lives.

HIMYM & Andrejevi - Extra Credit Blog

I was very pleased to have a screening of How I Met Your Mother in class. I just started watching this show a couple of weeks ago, so I am still trying to familiarize myself with the characters.

Andrejevic states how easily we are able to access information on the Internet, even about people. This is true, because after this, I found myself entering in names and you could easily find out information about someone's location, how many kids they have, or what school they went to, simply by typing in the first and last name on Google. It came up with websites just as "Family Tree" and "My Life." If you want to gain further information, all you had to do was pay a mere fee of about $9.99 or $19.99 depending on the website.

Relating Andrejevic's article to the How I Met Your Mother clip we watched in class, they are both very similar. Robin, very weary, was trying to find out about a girl's identity on the internet. However, at the end she found out she was actually a good person. This implied that Ted messed up the chance of dating a nice girl. This proves that looking up information about someone all the time isn't necessarily a good thing. It can lead to bad things. Unless you are definitely second questioning yourself, I wouldn't look up information about someone, or even go on a date with them.

Extra Credit Blog

After discussing and going over the first half of the mystery vs history episode of How I Met Your Mother, I was really interested in finishing it. I was so interested in the episode because it made a very good point that now days we are so technologically dependent. I feel people these days are losing abilities that people had before all these new technologies came out. I feel that I have lost some abilities of mine because of this culture, I have become so adept to texting instead of calling someone or meeting face to face to discuss something. I don't feel I have lost the ability to converse but I do know some people who seem like they have. This has been because our technology has made everything so much easier for people instead of the old days where people had to work for it. I felt this episode really connected to the article for these reasons.

Extra Credit Blog on HIMYM and Andrejevic

I found that this article had many points that made sense once I thought about them for a while, but the article itself was written in a way that was sort of confusing. After we had our class discussion and watched this clip from HIMYM, I really began to understand the full meaning of what Andrejevic was saying. This show is known for talking about real-life issues that happen in our current world. From the media, to relationships, and even just simple interactions, this show has got it covered. I personally have watched every episode of HIMYM, and have seen this particular episode several times, but I never analyzed it the way I did after reading this article. In the episode, Ted is trying to find his soulmate (nothing new), but this time he wanted to try something different. Instead of looking her up on the Internet, he wanted to try to relationship without social media/the web being involved. He ended up failing at this and losing the girl, but it is interesting to see that he really had trouble with this.
Andrejevic talks about the positive and negative sides of "iCulture" becoming so popular. He talks about a site where authors can contribute anonymously, but still get their work out there. To me that relates to how social networking works. Yes, a name is usually attached to someone's account, but the premise is mostly the same. Many people put up information that they would not necessarily share with people in real life - in a sense being anonymous. Rather than being totally anonymous, they are now allowing people to find many things about them- true or not true. Just like in the HIMYM episode, Barney and Robyn find out things about Ted's love interest that were definitely not true, which is why he took the plunge to look her up himself. While there is a lot of information that can be true, many things can get twisted, and I think it is important to try and retain as much privacy as possible. The Internet is a great place to share ideas and talk with other people, but privacy is a big issue. We also lose the sense of a good relationship because we rely on the Internet to give us our answers. Just like Ted did with his relationship, we can strike out too if we don't value face-to-face relationships and privacy.

HIMYM and Andrejevic

Comparing the How I Met Your Mother episode "Mystery vs History" from Season 7 to Andrejevic's article on iCulture was very interesting. I love the show HIMYM and it was so funny because those characters are so distinct and Barney and Robin would definitely do that to Ted. In a world these days, all people do these days are really sit around with their smart phone. Just yesterday I actually went to a premiere screening of The Hobbit (which was great!)and they actually don't let you take your phones in the theatre by the order of Warner Brothers, and body scan you, it is intense... but while my friend and I were starting we were talking about the Tolkein books, and every time we didn't know something I would reach into my bag.. try want to google it, but before I grabbed my bag I remember I left my phone in my car.. haha so yeah, instead of just using a phone, for the original purpose of a phone to phone someone.. we use it for so many other things with its advanced technology, some for the better and some for the worse. With any form of connection, we can search for anything with our fingers and these capable phones. Robin and Barney demonstrate this through this episode.
As Andrejevic talks about how the freedom on the web is limitless is very true. People can put almost anything on the web, from false info to wayyyy exaggerated info. which is scary because now we don't know what to trust. Also if we ever meet someone new, my friends love to facebook search them, for almost any amount of information (single? mutual friends, interests? school?, city? and so much more that facebook frighteningly allows us to give out, and of course we cannot forget the public photos..) which is one of the reasons I don't have a fb. With many pros and cons of this advancing technological world, fb for me seemed to have way more cons. As the characters of HIMYM got smartphones their conversations at McLauren's just died down as they were preoccupied by them at the table. As Robin found out that girl's identity on the web but in the end she was actually a great girl, Ted messed up the chance of a relationship with a great girl. So even with these new advancements doesn't mean we should always use them. (such as the phone gps satellite tracking on phone spouses can use to find the spouse from Andrejevic's article). These kinds of things can lead to bad turn outs..

Extra credit blog entry- Andrejevic

I was excited when we were going to tie in the Andrejevic reading to a clip from "How I Met Your Mother" because I just started watching this show about a month ago and I find it hilarious. I also really enjoy when teacher's are able to apply material to something that genuinely interests me in my personal life, it definitely makes me appreciate the article more. Anyways, I thought that the article had some really good points, specifically regarding the internet. I think that our generation has taken the whole using the internet thing a little too far and the limits in which we have for trusting things that we read on the internet are slightly out of control.

Andrejevic talks about how easily we are able to access information regarding many things on the world wide web, but specifically, and even more scary, how we are able to access information about people. Ultimately, you can discover anything you want about people in a matter of seconds on the internet, but to decide if it is reliable or not is up to you. The character in the show that we watched in class in faced with a similar situation and ultimately caves in an uses the internet to find out information about a girl.

This State Farm commercial reminded me of this situation so I thought it would be fun to post it, here it is! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmx4twCK3_I

Extra Credit Blog Brent Stensrude

Extra Credit Blog

Andrejevic's writing address the technology that we have today, what we are developing, and how this affects us as people and as a country. He discusses the implications our technology addiction could potentially have and the downward spiral that this love for interactivity could lead us to. Technology interferes with the way people interact and well as some potential democracy. In the screening of how I met your mother, this same scenario was in a way played out. The character continuously needed to do "background checks" on all the potential people he was going to be dating. It showed how easy it is to get any one persons information simply by doing some research online. While this may have been a little over done, considering my personal skills anyway, it was not far from the truth. If you know what you are doing and where to look, you can pretty much track any one anytime and discover what they are doing, and what they have done. He was so addicted to doing background checks of people even when he promised not to he still ended up doing it to the woman he really wanted to meet. He ruined his chances with her thinking she had killed 3 husbands when in reality she was an amazing person. This shows how accurate Andrejevic is as he considers our addiction to technologies and surveillance of one another. I wonder if people actually do this before they go on dates with one another? I know it's possible to subscribe to websites that allow you to do background checks and receive information on people. It's kind of scary to know that something as simple as creating a Facebook or Twitter can lead to all or a large portion of your personal information being sold to or looked at by basically anyone, whether it's for demographic use or marketing operations.

Recent Comments

• Kelci Bryant: Loved this post! read more
  • Kelci Bryant: I love Target :-) Except I can't go without spending read more
  • Kelci Bryant: On the Dora thing, it's great to teach our kids read more
  • Kelci Bryant: I've thought about that too. I think it is hard read more
  • Liora: Smart post! Thanks Jordan. -Liora read more
  • Liora: Exactly - Thanks Paige. -Liora read more
  • Paige Bystrom: "The Slumpy class is broadly composed of the upscale and read more
  • Liora: Zach - Interesting points! Thanks, Liora read more
  • Liora: Thanks for posting this! -Liora read more
  • Kelci Bryant: Also, it's a "she" - Gloria Watkins :-) read more

Recent Assets

• IMG_5158.JPG
  • Ad #3
  • Ad #2
  • Ad #1
  • roseanne.jpg