Welcome to Media Literacy Fall 2012!

Welcome to the course blog for Comm 3263W: Media Literacy. While this blog is primarily for participants in the course, it is open to anyone for reading and engaging. More information about how this blog works will be posted in the upcoming weeks. For now, make sure to bookmark our blog site (http://blog.lib.umn.edu/elia0039/myblogelias/2012/08/) and read through the syllabus.

Here are two ways to follow the class on twitter:
Follow the instructor - @MediaProfElias
Search for #MLFall2012 after logging into twitter (our course hashtag)

Discussion Question:

In this week's reading there was a section on the debate whether the gay rights movement was similar to the civil rights movement. I thought this was a particularly controversial idea so I thought it would make a good discussion question. Do you guys see the similarities the author draws from this analogy, a group of people fighting for racial equality is similar to another group fighting for sexual equality? Do you guys think that this was a just comparison or do you think the two are incomparable? Why or why not?

Discussion Question:
In the essay by Allan Berube, there was a section where he talked being afraid of posing the question of their whiteness in the HIV-negative group. I thought that this feeling he had in particular should've been the motivator for him, and other white gay men who questions the reason of the whitening society they created. Don't you guys think that he as a white gay male, in the middle of an all white group had the fear of posing such a question that includes race in it, should motivate them to support the fact of engaging with gay people of color in order to fight racism, which is the major aspect that gay men in all colors fight against?

Discussion Question:
In the essay by Allan Berbue, there was a section when he mentioned feeling hesitation and some fear in regards of posing the question of whiteness among the all white group of gay men in the HIV-negative group. Don’t you guys think that this feeling he had in particular should’ve been the motivator for fighting the whiteness that has been created in gay men society against the people of color, since that the first thing that gay men from all colors fight is racism? Why didn’t he engage more colored people in the HIV group since he is bothered by the fact that they are being discriminated?

In the Berube article, there is a section about the time when the military did not allow homosexuals to enlist. An out and proud African American man tells the story of how he told the doctor he was gay during the physical examination, and how he was let in to the military anyway. He also says that any white man who admitted to being gay was not allowed in, but he was allowed in because they "needed" him to fight in Veitnam. The military assumed he would just get killed and the issues would never come up. But he did not get killed. Since there are likely many gay men of any race that had survived wars and perhaps even done heroic deeds, wouldn't this prove to the military that homosexuals (no matter what race) are as capable of fighting wars as heterosexual white men?

Discussion Question:
In the essay by Berube, the author claims that the mainstream and gay media creates the stereotype that gay men are white and affluent. Do you agree? If so, do you think this has changed in the past ten years (since the article was published in 2001)? What are some media examples of diversity in the gay community?

In this essay by Berube, I found the sections where he talked about his experiences with the all-white panel and HIV-negative group to be the most interesting. I thought it was intriguing that in a group that are supposedly all similar, he could not get up the courage to talk about the issue of race. For me, I know that if I am in a group of my peers, or people I guess who I find similar to me, I find it easier to talk about issues. Why was is so difficult to bring up the issue of race in a group of people that are all similar to each other? Shouldn't that make it easier since they all are facing the same issue? I know he said he did not want to lose their acceptance or friendship, but why should it be that way? Shouldn't that be the place he feels most comfortable in bringing up issues like this? I can not fully relate to his situation, but I find it interesting and would like to know what is really behind that fear. What makes talking to peers about an issue so relatable to all of them, so difficult?

While reading this article, I was reminded about various articles I read about how Jewish immigrants were trying to become white in order to fit into an American society. These immigrants were trying to succeed in American life and were only able to do so if they passed as white. The question this article brought up for me was, Why is American society all about becoming white, heterosexual, protestant male? Why can't people of different races, religions or homosexuals have the same privileges as people who are white?