9/10 Blog & Discussion Question: Allan Berube

In Allan Berube's "How Gay Stays White and What Kind of White It Stays" opening paragraph presents us with the stereotype of the social category "gay man." He states how in the United States, the dominant image of the typical gay man is a white man who is financially better off than most everyone else.

To be completely honest, before I came to the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, I did not have one gay friend. I attended a private and Catholic high school in Wisconsin. However, once coming to the University of Minnesota, I found myself making friends with specifically a lot of gay guys. All of the friends I made were not the stereotypical 'gay white man' Berube describes in his article. I have befriended white, African American and Asian friends within the gay community at Minnesota.

Throughout the article, I found myself comparing differences amongst the gay population and antiracist movement from then and today. I definitely see where the gay white man stereotype derives from, especially through media promotion of the high income, brand-loyal gay consumer market. However, I do feel like times have changed today. Berube proposes the question of whether or not a gay white man will have a lasting interest in fighting racism or will they sooner or later retreat to the safety of the gay white refuges. Today, I feel like the gay community has such strong beliefs that they would have a lasting interest in fighting racism.

Discussion Question: Allan Berube speaks about a night where he arrived at his favorite disco bar in San Francisco where he discovered a picket line of people protesting the triple-carding (requiring three photo ID's) of gay men of color at the door. He calls this racial exclusion - policing the borders of white gay institutions to prevent people of color from entering. Comparing it to back then, do you think the hard work of identifying such practices has been taken up more so by homosexual people of color, or heterosexual people of color in today's world? Also, does this differ much from the civil rights movement? Why or why not?