Blog Entry for Week of 9/17/12

I really enjoyed reading the "What is Media Literacy" article this week. I think the author created a strong argument of what it means to be highly literate in media.

One section that stuck out to me as being especially intriguing was about our control over the media (page 11). I liked that he said it is impossible to not expose yourself to the media because even if you tried, the media would still have control over you because it is causing you to pull away from everything. Also, even if you try to go all hipster and not read/watch anything in the media, you would still be indirectly affected by the media's influence on "our institutions of government, family, education, and religion" (Potter 11).

This section reminded me of a discussion we recently had in my Intro. to Communication Theory course where we decided it was completely impossible to not communicate at any time. Even if you shut yourself away in a room by yourself, you are still communicating to the world around you that you want to be alone or that you're angry or sad.

It appears that these two discussions are related because media always involves communication. Deja vu!

I really agree with Potter that the more knowledge structures you have, the more you can decide which pieces of media you accept or challenge. I think this is the vital purpose of a class like this. We all need to expand our knowledge structures to not always fall prey to media exactly the way the authors intend us to. Also, being a Comm student allows me to analyze even more deeply the intention authors have in creating their messages so I can only take in information that aligns with my personal world view. I'm so glad I'm in this class!

Laura -

Glad you're excited!

-Liora