Blog: Literacy Debate

There were many areas of this article that I found really interesting. The first thing that caught my eye was the title itself, "Online, r u really reading?". Right from the beginning you got a sense that something was missing from the action of reading online. The use of 'r u' really represents how reading styles have changed. Yes, not all articles and things online make use of these web abbreviations, but it shows that the formality is not the same as in books. The Internet provides resources and articles that are to the point and do not necessarily have all the extra parts to develop a story. It is a more concise way to get information, even if it is just in bits.
The next part of the article that interested me was the story about Nadia. The article did portray both sides of the argument pretty well. There were good examples for both, and I really had to think about what I actually thought my stance would be. The reason why the story of Nadia intrigued me is because yeah, she was not reading books, but rather on websites where should could read longer stories and even contribute, but she still didn't fully get what she needed. She might have been able to be more creative, but her writing and speaking skills were not up to par. At the time she was a 15 year old girl who could spell simple words correctly, nor form grammatically correct sentences. In the long run, I think this will effect her more negatively because college isn't a walk in the park. She will have to learn the hard way that writing and speaking skills are essential to obtaining any degree, or even getting into a good school. Not only will it effect college, but also her job searching later in life. Most companies want literate and well educated people in their positions, so by not learning that first hand in her earlier years I think she is ultimately hurting her chances to be that published writer she aspires to be.