Butsch Article Blog

I'm glad we read this article, for the past couple of years my friend and I have had discussions about how sitcoms portray working class families. One is that the men are consistently portrayed as dumb, clueless individuals who usually have very attractive wives who put up with the antics of their spouses. Shows like King of Queens, The Simpsons, Family Guy, and Home Improvement have fed into this stereotype. However I do think that this trend has started to change in the past 7-8 years. Partially because of the emergence of cable shows and the decline of the traditional sitcom. But you still see these stereotypes emerge in shows like Modern Family with the Dunphys. And I don't think that time-constraint is a good excuse for type casting. I've seen numerous shows who are successful in the half hour time slot without falling into type casting. I think this is just a lazy excuse.

But I think the American audience is just as much the culprit for these typecasts. If the shows don't have viewers, the show won't last, in knowing this it's clear that TV viewers have power in this relationship. By supporting shows that consistently typecast a certain group of people they're feeding the problem. There have been plenty of shows to attempt to break the mold but a lot have been unsuccessful (some have although like I said before). So I think this is definitely related to the advertising article we read. The media can be partly blamed for stereotypes and underrepresentation of minority groups but ultimately, they're catering to us and it's up to us to make the decision of what to support.